GO!

Help, Am I a Bichon/Poodle or Malti/Poo?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Leia

Barked: Thu Jan 28, '10 6:41am PST 
When I picked Leia up from the shelter she was listed as a Bichon/Mini Poodle mix. I don't think I buy it. I have family with Bichon/Poodle mixes, and they do not have such straight, fluffy coats. I understand that at 6 months or so she still sports a puppy coat, but there is really no curl at all. Also, at a slight 3.5 pounds, is it more likely that she is toy? Thanks for the input!!!
[notify]
Paris

J&D's not your- steppin' stone

Barked: Thu Feb 25, '10 8:04am PST 
Since you are a mixed breed, the term toy/miniature really can't apply to you because there are certain height requirements in poodles. Toys being 10 inches and under and not concerning weight.

At 3-4 lbs I would consider your dog quite small, Paris is 9 1/2 inches and 6-7 lbs, and is a "true" toy poodle.

I can see dominant maltese in your coat, you could quite possibly be a maltipoo. They are quite common in many areas and are often given up because of the grooming requirements.
Also, because of your size I would guess you are mixed with a tiny maltese, and a tiny toy poodle. Most likely the breeders were trying to sell their puppies as "teacup maltipoos"
Bichons are quite hefty dogs, so I would guess if you had bichon mixed in you would be quite a bit bigger.wink
[notify]
Paris

J&D's not your- steppin' stone

Barked: Thu Feb 25, '10 8:07am PST 
I just realized you are still a puppy.

Even so, with the coat, if it does not curl after you have gone a week without a bath, or were bathed and not blowdried it is definitely maltese.

A true poodle should curl when dirty, and when not properly dried. It's quite difficult to keep a good poodle coat straight, and should require extensive care to do so.

Also you will probably be about 6-8 lbs full grown.
I would still guess you were mixed with toy, and "tiny toy" maltese/poodle.
Even though maltese doesn't come in a "toy" size, many people try to create really tiny maltese by breeding two very small maltese together.
[notify]