GO!

Thinking of becoming a Groomer

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your dog. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your dog's hygiene needs.

Mayhem

Barked: Sun Jul 20, '14 12:10pm PST 
Anyone have any advice on this?
I'm thinking of becoming a groomer through ABC - Animal Behavior College. It' a year of schooling, half online and through books and DVD's and the other half hands on with a groomer in my area to become a certified groomer. I have no prior experience beyond my own dogs and family, I am a stay-at-home mom. My kids will be going to school full day starting this fall and I want to be busy doing something and have a skill if I ever should need to work outside my home. Obviously I am also a dog lover. I'm only interested in part time right now so I'm thinking of starting as a bather or groomer assistant this fall at a Petco and if a few months in I can see myself in that environment I will enroll in this school, continue as a bather/assistant and then the following year become a Groomer. I'm not sure if Petco is where I would ultimately like to end up but I'm thinking it may be a good start to get my foot in the door. Any advice or thoughts?? I should not enroll in the certification program until I am a bather or assistant for a while, correct??

Edited by author Sun Jul 20, '14 12:14pm PST

[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Tue Jul 22, '14 2:23pm PST 
If you're thinking of taking a job at Petco anyway, do that and skip paying ABC to certify you. Petco will start you as a bather and you'll receive paid training when it's time for you to start grooming. The only downside is that the quality of the training will really depend on your mentor. Some are great, some are just in it to make the extra money that mentoring brings. Once you're certified, you're required to stay at Petco for a year so they can recoup the cost of training you. It's a good way to get a feel for the business without investing any money.
[notify]