GO!

Overreacting to "pain"

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Tyvon "Stallone" Savage

Bring on the- action!

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 7:06pm PST 
Stallone is a huge whiny baby, and I don't understand why. It was funny when a small cardboard picture came unstuck from the wall and wafted down and landed ever so gently on his head and he ran off LIMPING and whining as if he'd been bashed and stomped. But there are things like when Tyson snarls at him for things like annoying him or eating his food or taking his toys that sends Stallone screaming and wailing like a siren for up to fifteen minutes uninterrupted. Today was the worst. Ty didn't even touch him, but he acted like he was in a massive fight, and I couldn't get him to stop screaming. I don't understand this. As a pup Tyson never whined or acted like a baby, and I don't want to be insensitive but this seems excessive. And I can't get him to stop screaming once he starts. Thoughts?
[notify]
Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Sat Dec 21, '13 11:32am PST 
I suspect it might be one of two things:

1. He has a medical/psychological issue that needs to be addressed that causes hypersensitivity.

2. He is wicked smart and knows crying and screaming makes him the center of attention, much like a toddler who falls and is unhurt, yet wails like they're dying when they see an adult.

Clyde went through a phase where if he tripped and fell over his own legs like any other normal puppy, he would run up to us, crying and whimpering, like a child. We knew he was faking it because he clearly isn't hurt and we have seen even frail old dogs take a much worse tumble and act like nothing happened.

Still, if you haven't had a wellness checkup at the vet's in a while, it might be worth a visit. I see he is a puppy still, so he should be coming in every few months for vaccinations/wellness anyway.
[notify]
Tyvon "Stallone" Savage

Bring on the- action!

Barked: Sat Dec 21, '13 4:24pm PST 
Since birth the vet has been startled by what a big and strong puppy he was. Literally since birth. He goes hkng, at I've sees l h wold n six flghs o stairs with me, and he wresles with his father Tyson constantly.
[notify]

Clyde

Ice cubes? YES- PLEASE!

Barked: Sat Dec 21, '13 8:42pm PST 
Then it might be possibility 2. Do you panic and try to console him when he has his fits? Or do you calmly approach, silently figure out if and where he is injured, and walk away like it's nothing? Puppies do seem to find the humans amusing when they are acting frenzied and flustered.
[notify]
Benny

Where did I bury- that bone- again...

Barked: Sun Dec 22, '13 10:04am PST 
Thats kinda funny if it is possibility 2 and he has discovered a clever way to get attention. I would note though that even if he himself is fit and healthy, he could still have hypersensitivity thinking

A very curious thing, I'm interested to see what you discover!
[notify]
Tyvon "Stallone" Savage

Bring on the- action!

Barked: Thu Dec 26, '13 10:02pm PST 
Definitely #2. He wrestles with his dad, a 130lb mastiff, and goes on massive hikes and runs with no complaint. But he will scream for attention it seems, since the weirdest things set him off, but he has no specific sensitive spots on his body.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 4:09am PST 
Bump
[notify]
Zeea

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 2:51pm PST 
If you know the crying is not 'real' then treat it like a behavior you wish to stop. Train him with 'quite' or give him a time out, etc. It is like a dog whining in a crate you need to teach them it is unacceptable behavior.
[notify]