GO!

Coyotes, your dog, and what's okay.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Tyson Savage- CGC

Let's do big dog- stuff!

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 6:47pm PST 
So there are some places I take my dog where there are coyotes. These are not super rural areas, and many are man-made nature walks and parks. Though I haven't encountered a coyote with Tyson, they are out there and I know the day will come because There are limited places I can take my dogs so it will be unavoidable. I keep him close, but I'm concerned if a coyote comes up to us threateningly. My friend was attacked with her leashed dog in a different park,and although I'm in no way worried about a coyote dancing with two Akitas, I am concerned about the legality of it getting killed by them. Ty is a hunting dog. Up north we were paid to keep bears and pumas and bobcats off of properties, and needless to say if something comes at us and he gets it in his mouth, it's not getting away. Now, I keep him on leash in questionable areas, and will continue to accept any further preventable advice (short of avoiding the areas of course, because that isn't possible).

Who here has delt with their dogs and coyotes before?
[notify]
Oz

Trust me...I'm a- beagle

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 7:11pm PST 
We've got coyotes and "coy-wolf" hybrids in our area.
We frequently hike with the dogs off-leash and have had 1 encounter. 6 years ago, Oz was off doing his "hunting" thing as we hiked. 2 either very large coyotes, or coywolves approached him and attacked.
He *survived* and made a full recovery.

It seemed almost as though they were harming him for sport, and not to kill. At the time he was around 20lbs, possibly a little less, and these coyotes had to be on the higher end of 60lbs. My mother approached them yelling, and they simply walked away - no fear.

Obviously since then she's learned to not hike at that particular area in the early morning, and have not had any encounters since.

I sincerely doubt they'd be foolish enough to approach you with even 1 Akita, let alone 2. As far as I'm aware, at least in my area, they are not considered to be a protected species and there isn't a whole lot legally that would be done if your dogs were to harm or kill one. They're wild animals, not someone's pet. Add on if you state that they were protecting you, I'd assume you're fairly safe on that end.
- I would however be a bit concerned as coyotes are walking diseases essentially. They are known to carry a whole bunch of nasty diseases.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 7:14pm PST 
Coyotes come right up to our house. When they're around, and I have to take my dogs out, I carry a big stick and pepper spray. I haven't had to protect mine yet, but I know a day will come when I will. There was a Rottie killed by a coyote a few years back, so don't underestimate them compared to your dog, even if it's an Akita. Single coyotes have been known to lure dogs away from safety by playing and taking them to a place where the pack can get them. So, please be very wary. Good Luck!
[notify]

Tyson Savage- CGC

Let's do big dog- stuff!

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 7:37pm PST 
Yeah my friend was walking her Rhode when the coyote (the ones around here are small) went for her dog solo. Her and her dog got out okay, but obviously shaken up. I couldn't imagine a 20lb dog getting g attacked I am so sorry for that frown

Fortunately where I live is downtown, so no coyotes out our door. But I take them down to Huntington and Bolsa Chica, where they are unavoidable in the spring. And the Hollywood hills.

Diseases they carry? More than anything else? I might get vests for them in case there is a scuffle.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 8:08pm PST 
Tyson, I asked about something similar a few weeks ago. I don't know how to bring the link to this thread, but I'll bump it for you.
Maybe some of the info from that thread could be helpful.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 8:40pm PST 
Moose /Tyson, this is the address. I don't know how to make it clicky.

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Behavior_and_Training/threa d/790761
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Dec 23, '13 6:29am PST 
I've encountered several coyotes. None messed with us.

One time, I walked out in an open field and didn't notice a coyote out there sunning themselves. Eventually, I saw it. We just looked at each other, kept our distance, and I walked on. No fuss. Most run away if you happen in their direction.

I'm sure there have been many more that I didn't see while out and about, but they probably saw me.

Coyotes, like all wild animals, can most certainly be dangerous. But in all my encounters, they didn't want to interact. (not that I wanted too!)

Then again, these are in more rural areas. I have found, in terms of deer, that the urban ones are much more brazen.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Dec 23, '13 7:20am PST 
I had a coyote try to lure Jewel away once, it was really scary. Thankfully she couldn't see it because she's so tiny and the grass was so tall, I told her to stay (and repeated the command with every step I took) and once I picked her up to walk away she just about lost her mind because she could see it. I had to hold her mouth shut as it was yipping at her and I didn't want her to bark at it and have it follow us. Jewel tends to take the defensive with larger dogs and it's not like she would have run over to play with it but she would have charged it trying to put on a big show to show it how big and scary she is and I'm pretty sure it just would have killed her.

They DO lure away back to the group, happens here (Northern Canada) all the time, it's why a lot of farms keep pairs of outside dogs.

They do carry disease, depends on your area what they'd be more likely to have. If your dogs did kill one I wouldn't just leave it, you'd need to get it tested to make sure they're safe.
[notify]