GO!

Health Concerns.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Zoe

Barked: Mon Nov 4, '13 11:42am PST 
I recently posted this in the answers but i realized it doesnt operate like a forum in that i cant post replies on it.
A few years ago i came onto this board seeking advice to find a purebred golden retriever. I found a breeder that seemed to be good and got my puppy. Now she is having health problems, the vet is wanting to run blood tests fearing that it might be a systemic problem. I found out not long ago that the puppies mother died of cancer at roughly two years of age.

I emailed her breeder but I havent gotten a response yet, i just emailed her saying that there is some health concerns and kept it really general at this point.

Im also wondering if what the vet is saying makes sense to you all who are more knowledgeable than i am (hoping perhaps that there are some vets here)

What initially happened was a pad injury. The vets later discovered a pretty bad wound on her leg near the first joint. That became infected and and was very swollen. The swelling has subsided, the wound appears to be healing, but there are other pads that are detaching on other paws. That along with the fact that one of the wounds seems to be worse now than when the vet first saw it has her fearing it is an autoimmune thing where her immune systems is attacking her own body.

Have you ever really seen that happen? i can post more details about everything if someone requests it but this post is already long as it is
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Nov 4, '13 12:41pm PST 
well i'm not too familiar but I don't want to leave you hanging without any answers. Did they swab and culture the infection? Confirm whatever they treated it with is actually working to stop it? It could be an immune disorder. I do know that starting with bloodwork would be the first place to start. It almost requires ruling stuff out.

Take a look at this and see if anything here helps you:

http://www.bcskinvet.com/paw-nail-disorders.php

I'm sorry I can't help with more than that. It's just not something I'm familiar with. I do have a dog that has an autoimmune disease that affects her nails. Her nails fall off. Some dogs nails break off too.

Edited by author Mon Nov 4, '13 12:44pm PST

[notify]
Zoe

Barked: Mon Nov 4, '13 12:51pm PST 
Ill go ahead and post the whole progression here. It is quite long so warning there

This all started off as Zoe limping/holding her hind left paw in the air. I monitored it for a week and checked on it often, never being able to pinpoint the problem so I thought it was likely to be just a sprain or twist. One day when checking the paw i noticed the pad was detached which is what i thought was revealed as the injury that caused the limp.

I took her to the vet that night, and they decided to bandage her leg. This vet, in the end, turned out to be a HORRIBLE experience. It is a 24 hour emergency hospital. Anyways initially they told me to have her bandage changed in 7-10 days. I called back a few days later cause that seemed odd, and they told me to take her in and have it changed that day which I did.

They decided after a week or so to remove the bandage, and I monitored her/limited her activity. I noticed on Tuesday a lot of *****/sticky fluid inbetween her toes seemingly caused by a different pad. It did dry up by the time i got there and a vet tech came out, just glanced at it, and said it was fine. 2 days later i noticed the same thing, and took her back. This time was seemingly the only time a vet even looked at her, and noticed much much bigger problems. First off her whole leg was swollen, she also had wounds on the side of her foot, at least one other pad, and a wound that was very infected near the first bend of her leg, with dead skin covering it that would detach (hasnt yet) eventually. This vet shaved her leg, and opted not to bandage it, leave the wound exposed and for us to care for it by keeping it dry as well as doing epsom salt baths 3 times a day and gave us an antibiotic.

We did this, and took her back to see the same vet a few times, everything seemed to be improving, swelling was going down drastically, the dead skin was starting to detach etc. She wanted to do X-Rays to ensure the infection didnt impact the underlying bone at all and i agreed and the results showed it didnt. She suggested setting up a surgical consultation to consider closing the wound surgically. Me already being fed up with these hospital, because they simply didnt even notice this major wound on her leg after 5+ visits, decided to go elsewhere.

The next vet decided to bandage it, said surgery was a bad idea because there wasnt enough skin to work with and keep it closed, and gave us a stronger version of the same antibiotic as well as an anti-inflammatory and pain med.

Things have continued to progress negatively in some ways positively in others. The wound is now bleeding regularly which the vet says is a sign of it healing (she says its a normal/expected bleeding ulcer that will now heal).

The wound on the side of her foot has closed up, but is now hard, to me it sounded like like scar tissue but the vet seemed more concerned over it than i would have expected. The hind part or Zoe's leg also had some scarring, and she expected that would also start to bleed and maybe potentially fall off. However the last bandage change did indicate this, but there are also a few smaller cuts in the same area that raised the Vets concern.

Now also her front paw is showing signs or pad damage, a few of her toes had pads detach and fall off much like the hind leg did. Her pads are very dry, and ive recently bought some booties and started using 100% petrolium jelly on her to help remedy that.

The vet however seems to see a correlation between the pads on multiple feet having issues. Along with the additional small wounds near her hind leg. She seems to think there is potentially an auto-immune issue, where her immune system is attacking her own body.

Is this a feasible concern? Zoe does get crated over night, and she doesnt like it, so it seems like the back of her legs are possibly just being irritated by spending more time in the crate than usual, but perhaps im just downplaying that

I apologize for the wall of text, but there was a lot of info to give
[notify]

Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Tue Nov 5, '13 5:21am PST 
You know I would start to think this is some kind of autoimmune thing. Especially if nothing is specifically causing it. I would want to consult a

s p e c i a l i s t. Maybe a dermatologist? that's who we consulted with when Trudy started losing her nails. They gave a treatment protocol.

If antibiotics aren't stopping it and it's affecting other paws, I would look to other reasons for it. Unless she's doing something when she goes out that causes this, it doesn't make sense.

P.S. Dogster's spam filter won't let me type s p e c i a l i s t. It says it's a naughty word Anyway, if you type it put spaces in the word like I did
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Tue Nov 5, '13 10:19am PST 
bumping up cuz of spambots
[notify]
Josie- *Forever in- Our Hearts*

Happy to work

Barked: Wed Nov 6, '13 8:28am PST 
Could you post a picture of the paw pad that is currently in the worst shape?
[notify]
Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Fri Nov 8, '13 5:06pm PST 
Stupid question. The dog is not licking at the feet is he?
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Nov 8, '13 5:53pm PST 
bump again
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Nov 12, '13 10:25am PST 
Same stupid question as Tucker. Goldens are notorious for allergies and hot spots and licking paws obsessively. I'm strongly leaning towards that being the issue. She could have a grass allergy, which is making her itch, and then overnight she just goes to town on it, or she might just hate being crated and started licking to cope. She needs to be wearing a cone when unsupervised to see if that helps it heal any.

I have not heard of an autoimmune disorder presenting quite like that, but it doesn't mean it's not possible. Has your vet run cultures to see what if any bacteria is present? It could be an antibiotic resistant infection, or yeast, or staph. Antibiotics can feed yeast infections and make them worse.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Tue Nov 12, '13 2:26pm PST 
bump yet again *sigh*
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2