GO!

Feeding Small Dogs Correctly

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Olivia

out of the brave- comes the- shiverer!

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 1:48pm PST 
I know on all diets any being can become overweight. However, I have two chihuahuas who just started going full prey model raw and 2 oz a day (they're not the small chihuahuas either, both at 6 pounds looking healthily) doesn't seem enough for them. Am I being too sensitive and that's all they need or should I give them big meals and allow them to eat what they want and save the rest for later? Also, how on earth are you supposed to give them correct portion sizes if I can't just hand them a drumstick? Most of the drumsticks I find are over 2 oz. They're on chicken right now and once they settle in variety will be added. I have a weigher, but I'm still confused when people give whole birds to their dogs (even small ones) and I can't even give a full drumstick.
[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 2:49pm PST 
I feed prey model raw to my chi Brody. He weighs just a shade over 5 pounds. He eats 3-4 ounces a day. It's fine to start at 2 ounces a day and just work up from there. Feed to a lean body condition, most chihuahua's are overweight. confused

I use cornish hens for my bone in meals. Get a non enhanced (no added sodium) bird that weighs 1 pound. I get them in the freezer section of walmart. Get a cleaver and whack it up into about 8 chunks of meat and bone. Those are your bone-in meals. Feed one chunk a couple times a week.

Then fill in the rest of the meals with red meats. Beef, venison, pork, bison, lamb, goat, etc. It's OK to give occasional bird meals, but I try to keep the diet mostly red meat.

I also keep a baggy of chicken wing tips in the freezer. (Just buy a tray of chicken wings, the ones that have the 3 joints.) We like them, so I chop off the wing tips and save those for Brody. They are mostly a soft bone, some connective tissue, and some skin. If I see a loose stool, I throw him one straight from the freezer. He loves them and it firms him right up. You can do the same with chicken feet if you can find them. Try asian grocers or other ethnic groceries.

I do organs as a meal on the weekend. But have worked up to that over time. Followed before and after by a cornish hen chunk of meat/bone.

Very easy and do-able. And super cheap. dancing
[notify]
CGC Diego

I love my peeps!-

Barked: Tue Sep 17, '13 5:23pm PST 
I have a Chi mix and an IG mix, both quite a bit bigger than yours at around 12-15lbs. But, they are easy to feed--chicken necks are my go-to with them when I need to add bone. I have a butcher in my area that bags up chicken necks and backs for 0.99/lb. In my experience, a typically sized neck is roughly an ounce.

I agree with Brody's comment on the game hens. I get them if I can find them cheap enough but often they're upwards of $3/lb. Fine if you have itty bitty dogs and you can get lots of meals out of them, I just have more and bigger mouths to feed so I have to keep costs low. cry

I also know many people on here are hard core prey model raw-ists, but I also add in veggies as well. If youre worried about them not getting enough volume, you can add canned pumpkin or sweet potato (unsweetened of course), or frozen then thawed and pureed green beans, spinach, broccoli, anything without too much sugar. I avoid things like peas, carrots, corn--too much in the complex carbs department. You can always add some meat juice or a dab of yogurt to the veggies if they dont like them, if they're anything like my dogs if there's a drip of meat juice it'll get gobbled up.

Don't forget you can feed eggs and canned sardines (packed in water, no salt) too. Both ready-to-go sizes for little ones! Good luck!
[notify]

Olivia

out of the brave- comes the- shiverer!

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 12:15am PST 
Thanks, I found some great deals on chicken and everyone gobbled that down! smile Tonight was their first meal of beef and everything seems to be going really well. My next question: where do you buy non-poultry meat? I got three types of beef cuts to see what went over best, though they will eat it all I'm sure! I got ones that were cut into steak-like pieces, ones that were much thicker than steaks and had some silvery streaks in it, and finally a huge slab of a piece that was very tough. For the future, is this what I should get for their boneless meals?
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 7:19am PST 
Whatever is cheapest as fed and not enhanced with a solution that adds sodium. A cut with lots of fat and bone might have a lot of waste where a cut that looks more expensive on the price tag might have less waste. I trimmed a cheap boneless brisket and threw away half of it as fat once for instance. Some dogs are fine with lots of fat but that is a bit extreme! If that brisket happened to cost the same as a round steak or boneless rump roast then the cost per serving would be twice as much.

And that is it. Tough is better, tongue and shank are super tough meats that are apparently delicious but my dogs never ever turn down any beef!

I cut boneless stuff into 4-8 ounce strips for Max but Ginger's 2-3 ounces don't work out well that way and she usually ends up with small chunks.
[notify]
Brody

Tiny boy, but he- has a huge- heart!

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 8:15am PST 
Shop the bargain bin at the grocery meat department. You can often find great cuts of meat really discounted. I also like ethnic markets, hispanic, asian, etc. They have different cuts of meat and most are cheap. Heart is a GREAT meat. And one smallish heart can be 20+ meals for a chihuahua. dancing

Also make friends with hunters if you know of any. Often hunters will clean out their freezers in anticipation of fresh meat so you can get excellent meat there. We have a friend who gives us the heart and kidneys and other misc parts from the deer they hunt. Great meat and lasts a long time.

I stock up on cornish hens when I see them on sale. They are my main source of edible bone. And then I can concentrate on keeping Brody's diet red meat heavy. Have fun!
[notify]
Rufio

I don't walk, I- prance!

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 10:41am PST 
Just wondering on your opinions on this....I've read in few sources that you shouldn't feed your dog pork or chicken bones because they splinter easely.

However, Rufios only source of bone-in items has been chicken and luckily no incidents thus far.

What do you raw feeders think?

for small dogs like ours, chicken is pretty much the only bone that I have found that works, what are the other options?? shrug
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 10:44am PST 
I have to admit that when I'm feeding necks or wings I just hold them for my girls. Jewel won't chew unless I am holding it for her (she's got issues) and Jem's I hold because I'm pretty sure she'd inhale anything I put infront of her if I didn't (what a pig).
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 5:34pm PST 
Max has never acted like he has had a problem with chicken bone. Chicken feet do seem a bit poky and need to be crunched carefully but they have never caused a problem. Cooked bone can be a problem as it is brittle and breaks differently. Once 16 year old Sassy stole cooked chicken bones out of the trash right under my nose and had no trouble though.

Pork is fine if it is commercially raised on cooked food to avoid trich in a country where psuedorabies isn't present like the US. Pastured and wild pork are a different matter, they might eat a trich infected animal. Pork is no longer a super fatty meat that is too much for a dog stomach, it is just as lean as beef. I would be very sorry to not be able to feed pork to the dogs.

Max isn't a tiny dog but he has been eating raw chicken bone and pork for 5.75 years now. Ginger has been eating raw chicken bone for 2 months and raw pork for 6 weeks, loves it all and does great on it.
[notify]
CGC Diego

I love my peeps!-

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 10:58pm PST 
Olivia, I see you are in Southern CA (like us). Do you have any Fresh and Easy markets near you? They have great deals in their "expiring today" section. Recently I picked up ground turkey, chicken wings and some beef I think for all about 1/2 price. Take them home and feed them that or the next day, or just throw the food straight into the freezer for later use.

I also shop for meat at our local Hispanic markets. They have inexpensive meats, especially on sale days, as well as some random things like organs and chicken parts that you wont find elsewhere. In CA its pretty easy to find ethnic, especially Hispanic, markets.

There also is a (relatively) local source of just about any meat you could imagine called Creston Valley Meats. He is based in Central CA and drives North and South on routes on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. I get supplementary meat from him that I have a hard time getting elsewhere--rabbit, organ blend, tripe, alpaca, blended meat patties etc. Its not cheap so I cant afford to buy all my meat through him but it balances out as I get most of the "regular" stuff for >$2/lb. Definitely worth looking into if your schedule is relatively flexible and you can meet him on the pick up days and times. Just search him, the site will come up.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2