GO!

My girlfriends dog won't poop outside

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 5:26am PST 
He is about 9 months old and was house trained before my girlfriend and I started dating. We will take him in the yard to go to the bathroom and he will pee but no matter how long you have him out he won't poop. He will just keep running away from you and go to the gate to go inside and will try to hide underneath a chair to prevent you from taking him out to the grass again. It's not like he doesn't have to go because he'll poop on the floor inside only like 15 minutes after you bring him in. It seems like he does it when you stop paying attention to him as a way of getting back at you. Please help, we don't know what to do and I'm really starting to hate this dog. Please help.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 5:39am PST 
Try putting him on a leash for potty trips and when you see he has to poop, lead him back to the grass. The chasing him around is a nice game for him and it sounds like he is having a blast instead of learning to go to the potty where he should. Good Luck.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 5:54am PST 
He's not having fun. This dog is weird and even though I've never given him any reason to be scared of me, he is. He like cowers and runs away from me. Not in a playful way. I'll try the leash thing soon though. I forgot to mention that my girlfriend also just moved to a new house so that is probably playing a part in this too.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 9:04am PST 
The move can be a problem all it's own. When we moved a little over 8 years ago to our current home and brought our dog who had grown up at our previous home it took about 3 weeks before she would settle in and poop at the new house. Thankfully we still had our daughter at the old house and took the dog along for trips to pick things we had left behind up or she would likely have exploded.big laugh Taking your girlfriends pup out on the leash and keeping him with you until you are sure he poops is really your best bet. Good Luck.
[notify]
Baylee

My Baylee- forever <3

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 10:24am PST 
Be aware of your body language and tone of voice. Even if you aren't doing anything to the dog, those alone can be intimidating and scary. Have your girlfriend start back at square one. Let her handle the bathroom breaks until you have built a positive relationship with the dog if your schedules will allow.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 4:16pm PST 
I agree..start from scratch. Tether the dog to you or crate him when he is inside. Take him out on leash to a designated spot, & give him his poop command. I actually have a Dumparoo Song I sing if mine are taking too long. laugh out loud Once he poops, take the leash off & have some fun. Alternately, play some fetch or running before leashing him & taking him to the poop spot. The running can get things moving, so to speak. DON'T take him inside until he poops. You may need to bring out a stool & a book, but you can't give in if you know he has to go.
I don't think it has to just be your gf who does this. The dog needs to poop for anyone who takes him out.
Dogs don't do things out of spite or pettiness, but they can do things when you aren't paying attention to themsmile A crate can be your best friend...or an xpen.
Baylee made a good point about your body language & voice. You can imagine how gigantic you must seem to the dog & he can sense your anger, so fear is totally appropriate as a survival instinct. Be patient, move slow, & carry a special treat..like raw steak or cooked chicken. Something that the dog only gets from you..& no one else. He will soon start to see you as a source of great things, rather than an ogre-monster waiting to devour him.

Edited by author Fri Jul 5, '13 4:17pm PST

[notify]
Crash- **ADOPTED**

Mr. Barky Pants

Barked: Fri Jul 5, '13 6:12pm PST 
I also agree; go back to basics. And be very careful of your body language and attitude around him when he's not going potty. You don't want to add additional stress to the ordeal so keep yourself relaxed. Otherwise, he'll wait to go when he's inside to avoid the pressure you're putting on him.

When he finally does poop outside, make it worth his while by rewarding him with happy praise and a treat. Then he'll be more likely to do it again in the appropriate area.
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 8:43am PST 
Some dogs need to be walked in order to poop outside, Hazel is on of them. She has never pooped in my yard but she has succesfully been pooping on walks the past 3 weeks!

If you control their food it is even easier to guess when they have to go. I free feed Hazel because she never over eats and she usually goes around 4pm everyday. If i know she has eaten more I will take her out after her nap.
[notify]