GO!

Rawhides, antlers, pizzle, nylabones - HELP!!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 3:30pm PST 
So I'm back after a long time away. Broken computer long story >.<

I found myself the other night so tempted to buy rawhides for Jake and Caroline. I know i shouldn't. I know they're dangerous and becasue of the issues rawhides gave me with jake i didn't guy them.

But i need some help with some long lasting treats. Jake powers through twin hooves, hooves, pig ears, tendons and pizzle in less then 15-20 minutes.

and caroline doesn't seem to care for thigns that aren't Check-ups or those "Greenie" type biscuits.

Any suggestions would be great. I'm totally out of ideas.
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 3:41pm PST 
Hrmmm.. appropriate sized antlers or horns? himalyian chews?(big hunks of hard cheese) We personally like the 12' braided pizzles or the really huge cane ones.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 3:44pm PST 
jake never cared much for the hard cheese chews unless i poped it in teh microwave. He loved it then. I thought that was funny. Caroline seems to like the antlers in the store but i worry about her teeth.

Where do you find large braided pizzle? i've only ever seen it with rawhide.
[notify]

Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 5:08pm PST 
Weirdly enough I get them at Martins(GIANT) (They are called Chewy Louie) or I would think bestbullysticks.com would have a long braided bully. I have seen the smaller versions at petco but I worry about where they are fromblue dog
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 5:16pm PST 
I was actually going to post a question about antlers. My uncle is an avid hunter and he has a lot of antlers and would it be fine to give to my 10lb dog, if so what size is appropriate.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 5:50pm PST 
When I got jake an antler it came off a deers head. It was much larger thena anything you can get in a store. I had it cut so the marrow was showing. Jake chewed it a few times and then nothing more. But then again he only chews when bored or its food >.
[notify]
Roman

The Snuggler

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 6:50pm PST 
I dont think I'd buy the antlers at the store, I'd rather get it from my uncle so I know where it came from and the health of the deer. My uncles dogs used to get all the scraps, and same with all my dogs growing up. I've just never given a small dog antlers before.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Jul 3, '13 8:40pm PST 
antlers are great chews for dogs. Elk is best..seems to have the best ratio of *bone to marrow. Deer antlers have less bone, so could splinter, but if you supervise, it should be fine. My guys have split elk antlers that are going on a year old. Mine will gnaw for hours, then leave them for awhile.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 10:44am PST 
bump
[notify]
Kovu

"Rub my tummy,- Pweeease?"

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 9:44pm PST 
Kovu loves the soup bones that you would get at the grocery store. They are filled with bone marrow and they can be chewed on forever!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2