GO!

Pee Pee Problem (uti)?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Bella

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 5:38pm PST 
My little Italian Greyhound will make a good pee (meaning flow) but then at times after the one good pee she'll squat a few times but nothing comes out...and she looks at me confused. Came home today and she had a pee on the kitchen floor...this never happens.

While peeing she doesn't appear to be in any pain or discomfort...but after that one good pee, she can't do her usual and several 'sent marking' pee's and looks confused cry

Took her to the Vet,for 4 days ago. Of course they wanted to test for 'stones' etc but I told them she has good flow, no blood and isn't in any pain etc.

I thought maybe she has a urinary track infection and asked for antibiotics, she's been on them 4 days now.

Any advice?
[notify]
Jax (earned- her wings- 5/30/12)

Give me your- toy.

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 5:59pm PST 
Did they get a urine sample from her? Sometimes the antibiotic is the wrong kind for the type of bacteria that may be causing the infection, if she has one. She could also have crystals. Hope she's better soon. smile
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 6:03pm PST 
I haven't been able to get a sample...when she takes her first 'good pee' as soon as I get ready with the collection cup she gets scared and stops. She eats and plays etc, but I want her better, she indeed is a little blessing to me.
[notify]

Ch. Ali, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 6:03pm PST 
Did they just put her on antibiotics without checking her urine??? Stones usually show up in a urinalysis.
Most of my spayed girls run around peeing on things without actually releasing any urine, or maybe only a drop or two. I consider that perfectly normal.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 6:13pm PST 
I haven't been able to get a sample...when she takes her first 'good pee' as soon as I get ready with the collection cup she gets scared and stops. She eats and plays etc, but I want her better, she indeed is a little blessing to me.
[notify]
Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 9:09pm PST 
Usually the vet will procure the sample so that it's sterile. A sterile sample is very important and, honestly, can only be done by your vet. It's possible that the incontinence you're seeing could be due to hormones. Many spayed females suffer from this at some point and it's due to the spay/hysterectomy that is performed to sterilize them. Estrogen is what keeps the muscle tone in the bladder muscles, and by removing the ovaries (what produce/trigger estrogen), we remove their ability to maintain bladder tone. It's really quite common.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 9:39pm PST 
PEE problem occurs in case of not proper training of the pets. The pet animals have a usual behavior of pee in the places where they can find the smell persistent of their pees. So you should try to make him learn at your home about such habits and slowly train him in house for Pee.
[notify]
Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Tue Jun 25, '13 9:44pm PST 
Guest: The OP states that urinating in the house was unusual for her dog. If that's the case, we can assume that the dog is housetrained.
[notify]