GO!

I just shocked him until he stopped it

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Sat Jun 22, '13 8:10pm PST 
Sort of a rant and like an... um what? Keep in mind I'm not against shock collars when used correctly and responsibly.

One of the trainers I work with (she's a 'junior trainer') was talking to me about how her training views have evolved over time. We work at a positive reinforcement only facility and yet she uses shock collars outside of the facility when she does privates and where she works elsewhere.

She said she trained all of her dogs with just shock collars because it's faster and more effective -- she also said there's no way to train an aggressive dog without one.

The girl was just like "Yea, my dog used to be a huge fear biter so I just slapped on a shock collar to the highest setting and shocked her until she stopped fear biting."

Um what?

Do you think the 'training' has had permanent effects on the dog's mind?

What do you think about her saying shock collars are the only way to resolve true aggression? Whether fear related or not?

She said she's never seen a successful rehabilitation with positive reinforcement and even the head trainer and behaviorist she knows have "awful" dogs that need corrections with shock collars and thus she's trying to convert the two.

Edited by moderator Tue Jun 25, '13 3:03pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Jun 22, '13 8:18pm PST 
Maybe your coworker should read up on the dogs saved from Michael Vick and rehabilitated without being shocked.
[notify]
Holly - CGC TDI

Squirrel?- Squrirrel!- SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!

Barked: Sat Jun 22, '13 9:02pm PST 
Wow, that's just terrifying. People calling themselves professionals and admitting to doing that, not just to their own dogs but to client's dogs? You're a kinder person than I. I would have given that lady an earful.
[notify]

Sonny

the world's- first blond,- agility Beagle

Barked: Sat Jun 22, '13 10:35pm PST 
She is an idiot.
Let me know if she lives when her dog turns on her someday.

It is BS. A truly aggressive dog may never be fixed. A shock collar will only escalate aggressive behavior.
A fearful dog....my doG why would anyone use pain to change fear behavior????
That is just plain STUPID.

Oh, PLEASE, tell her a Trainer from Connecticut said so....PLEASE!
Stupid, stupid, stupid....

BTW...
Sonny was a fear biter, and he could bite HARD if he wanted. We couldn't touch him when he first arrived. I put him on a NILIF plan with exercise for two weeks. Ta da!!
He doesn't bite anymore because he has no reason to bite. He knows he is safe, loved and cared for and he trusts us. He does not trust the lady that tried to put the pointy light thing in his sore ears. Sadly, I muzzle him now to see the Vet.
shrug
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 7:06am PST 
Personally, if I had a "trainer" like that in my club i'd run a mile. I wouldn't want to associate with anyone who thinks that way. Scary how little you can know and/or close minded you can be to become a trainer!
[notify]
Sonny

the world's- first blond,- agility Beagle

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 7:47am PST 
Missy, Nothing surprises me anymore...
I know another rescue / no kill shelter that uses a trainer who is openly, a compulsion trainer.
As if that weren't bad enough, he doesn't believe in spaying or neutering dogs.

WTH?
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 7:51am PST 
You say she's a "junior trainer"... is there anyone higher up you can report her to at the place where you train? I'm sure they'd be very interested to know they employ such an... interesting person.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 7:55am PST 
I remember trying to use a pronged collar on 6-month old reactive Charlie as instructed by a trainer. It amplified his problems tremendously.

As someone who is slowly "fixing" an aggressive dog with only reward based methods, stuff like this makes me furious. Using a shock collar for what could be fixed with food is just taking the easy way out.

The use of pain for problems that are quite often genetically based is disgusting, and your co-worker is a sad excuse for a trainer.
[notify]
Koby

I'm a big brat- and I don't care- :)

Barked: Sun Jun 23, '13 8:30am PST 
If that's true? Then why is Koby's training going very well without a shock collar? He is/was very reactive/fear aggressive. Almost bit 2 people. Now, he's taking treats from strangers in a group "drop in" training class every week, walking on a loose leash right next to people and getting very good at his basic commands with lots of distractions. confusedconfusedconfused Some people just don't have a clue..................shrug Some dogs are just so unlucky in that who they end up with..........frown
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 3:52am PST 
Your junior trainer is a wanna be fool. I would complain to a superior, her methods will ruin the training center's reputation and could set back many dogs and people who do what they are told regardless of their feelings.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3