GO!

"Those kind of people" rant

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 4:41pm PST 
Maybe if I get this at least out in print I'll feel a bit better. Just one of those silly, petty things setting me off after recent events...

We got a notice today that the official quarantine is 14 day...if he drops dead of rabies within those 14 days we need to notify the township. They also sent a yearly application to register him, I'll register Sophie too while I'm at it.

Just that they're being petty douchebags. The registration has "Late!" handwritten on the bottom and the late fee circled. So for both dogs that's a late fee of $14...in a town where our taxes are more than some people pay for their houses. But no they have to squeeze out that extra fourteen dollars. They actually want you to register CATS too...don't enforce it but it's on the books...

And with Callie now that I think about it, it makes me mad. When my in-laws lived here with their dogs they never had a fence. The dogs got put out, did their business, came in...
There was no fence until I adopted Sophie and we put up full fence around the whole yard. Unfortunately the lady next door had hers built above ground. Enough space that I had to fill it in with railroad ties and bricks from our side. Whoda thunk a dog with a head bigger than his whole body could squeeze under that fence???
But that's the point...EVERYTIME Callie has found a new creative way to be Houdini I am in that yard immediately blocking and re enforcing, trying to third guess any escape routes that might be hidden. The quarantine notice makes it sound like we let him go hog wild every night.

The people in the neighborhood I wrote about awhile ago-they're people with a supposed electric fence and a bull and a mountain dog that run loose so often the neighbors know who they are. We are not those people.

It just makes ya feel so low when you do everything you can to keep your pooch safe from the world and someone still whines negligence...cry
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 4:59pm PST 
"The people in the neighborhood I wrote about awhile ago-they're people with a supposed electric fence and a bull and a mountain dog that run loose so often the neighbors know who they are. We are not those people."
No, you are the people whose unregistered dog has gotten out more than once and now has bitten someone. If Callie were your neighbors dog and had bitten YOU, what exactly would YOU be saying??
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 5:35pm PST 
I had to pay an extra fee when I was late getting my dog's registration and he wasn't at large; I went to the city treasurer’s office to buy mine. Had to leave to go to the bank to get more cash and come back because I didn't have enough to cover the fee. So yes, it was a hassle, but I was late getting his license. I don't think they're being petty by enforcing late fees. At least in my city, they do that for everyone.
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 6:51pm PST 
Um, so by giving the township $10 a year to have a registered dawg really means anything? Really?

Toto, I know it's probably hard to understand when you have a dog with almost no potential for such a situation...I wouldn't begin to advise you on poodle problems...don't pretend you can understand the issues involved with bigger breeds...

That if either of you had such a dog and had safeguarded your yard as best as you could and still missed a small corner...it wasn't even a loose corner, I'm theorizing he climbed up the side of a trashed bike in the outback and more or less fell over the fence...yeah, I got the bike out of there...may such a situation never happen to either of you...as with human children...it's not always the parents...trulyshrug

Edited by author Tue Jun 18, '13 6:59pm PST

[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 7:39pm PST 
Your dog bit someone and you are breaking the rules by registering late.

Be happy you can do a home 14 day quarantine. Where I live those are only allowed IF the dog is properly vaccinated AND registered when the bite occurs. Your dog would be at animal control at your expense right now-not allowed outside and not allowed to see you.

And you really should be careful when you speak about things you do not know. Toto isn't a "poodle" person. She is a dog person. She has had many large breed dogs before her current poodles. She is also responsible for ensuring she contains all the dogs that come to her boarding business.

Honestly, when I hear about people trying to piece together fence coverings with scraps of bricks and railroad ties-I think of an irresponsible person who doesn't care to understand how dogs escape form yards. It sounds like a person who wants to whine and say they have tried...when in fact they have done the minimum possible so they can make excuses.

If all else fails, walk your dogs on a leash.
[notify]
Corky

Looking for my- forever home!

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 8:26pm PST 
Your dogs being late for their licenses is not an issue of their size; it's an issue of your not having gotten their licenses on time. When Corky was first arrived, and I went to City Hall the register him, they wanted to know WHY I was licensing a dog in December. "New dog" was a perfectly acceptable explanation--but it doesn't apply in your case.

And, sadly, fair or unfair, when you have large and potentially "scary" dogs, you do need to be more careful than the person with a dog not viewed as "scary." You cannot rely on a neighbor's fence that you already know your dogs have defeated more than once.

I know which dogs in my neighborhood are walked regularly, which ones are effectively contained--and which ones get out often enough that everyone knows them. By name. And exactly where they live and what the excuses are that the owners have for the weak spot in their fence not being fixed. When they beat up a shih tzu mix in her own yard, there were no end of witnesses to the fact that these dogs often get out, they are sweet with people, but the female is dog-aggressive and the male follows her lead.

The owners felt ill-used, but every one of us who walk our dogs regularly have had run ins with those two boxers. Seriously, even the guy with the Doberman and the chihuahua, who I think is an idiot, effectively fixed the weak spot in his fence the first time his dogs got out.

Contain your dogs.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 9:08pm PST 
Not to get too embroiled in anything, but I would never let a Pit Bull in a yard unsupervised. Anything they got involved in would make them look worse due to the breed, and I have seen some very nice pets get in very unfortunate problems when they got loose and roamed a bit.

My foster Ghost....big bull of a Pit....has been here a year in foster and it was only a few weeks ago that he just got it into his head to try to bull through the gate. It's a darned stout gate, but he popped it right open as if it were made of Styrofoam. Pits not only have power but also are some of the most motivated climbers I know. I was there at the time, though, as I always am, for you really couldn't pay me enough to let them crack through something and I am not there.

And re Toto, she really is all breed. Bred Labs for a long time with a background in GSDs also, but as a groomer who does boarding also and a dog fancy person, I don't think there is much she doesn't know or can't relate to.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 1:43am PST 
Licenses here are triple what you pay, and I have three dogs or more. All of whom can climb jump and dig. Bud clears fences like nothing and when that fails he knocks them down or goes through them. This is not a breed thing it's a DOG thing. The best escape artist I ever met was a Shih Tzu.
I know it seems like everyone is down on you but you are really lucky. Your dog got loose, as he has before, and he bit someone. In many places he would be dead. Period. You need to take your lumps with grace. You were late paying, you left your dog unsupervised and you got caught.
And you owe Toto an apology, that was rude and uncalled for.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 2:00am PST 
Now, I am one of these people who does leave their dog outside unsupervised ... Even when I'm out. But my backyard is alao surrounded by ten foot brick walls, and Jackson cannot get over the gate, him being a poor climber and it being high. That being said, if I had a big strong climber, the dog would be on a chain if I had to put him out ... Given his breed and the instances of dog theft, though, I would be hesitant to leave him out again.

Toto does know big dogs. She has been in labs and GSDs for a long time.

Maybe them circling late was a bit petty, but if I had just out of a potential sticky situation by the skin of my teeth, I'd shove any upset aside and take it without comment. Them's the breaks, I'm afraid.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 5:20am PST 
Rather than annoyed, I think a more appropriate emotion right now would be thankfulness...you should be thanking your lucky stars that you are able to do a just a quarantine and have no other repercussions.

Were this to happen in my town, the offending dog would most likely be deemed a dangerous dog and that designation means that licensing fees shoot up dramatically from $16/year to $1000/year (no, you did not read that wrong, one thousand dollars every single year while the dog still lives within city limits), and that the dog must be leashed and muzzled whenever he isn't on his own property.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2