GO!

Golden Retriever as a first SD and finding a breeder

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 10:42pm PST 
I am looking into programs, of course, as that would be idea. I may have to owner-train, though, and I'm considering Golden Retrievers.

Would they be a good first-time SD? (The other typical suggestion I can think of is Labs, and I do not like Labs.) Does anyone know of any good breeders?
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 6:41am PST 
Have u considered a standard poodle? I know goldens make good service dogs but poodles are very easy to train. Just a thought. As far as breeders go u might try searching for breeders who have in the past bred dogs who ended up as service dogs.
[notify]
Oberon

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 6:49am PST 
I can't speak yet on whether a particular breed makes a good first SD as I'm just starting the process myself. I DID spend an inordinate amount of time researching owner-training and finding the right dog, so I can speak to that.

Whenever I've looked for a reputable dog breeder, I almost always started at dog shows by meeting different breeds, different dogs within that breed, and their breeders. I often collect names by asking "Who would you recommend getting a dog from besides yourself?" and "Who would you NOT recommend getting a dog from?". They can usually give you helpful hints on picking out healthy animals from reputable kennels which was invaluable for me. Breeders whose dogs regularly title in obedience and do therapy work was important to me. The highest ideal was a breeder whose animals had gone on to be service dogs.

Just to help the conversation, will this possible SD be your first dog in life or just your first SD?
[notify]

Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 4:01pm PST 
I don't want a dog who needs clipping. Gooming is good, but no clipping.

Yes, it would be ideal to find a breeder whose dogs have gone on to be SDs.

Edit: to answer your question: both.

Edited by author Fri Jun 7, '13 4:03pm PST

[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 4:19pm PST 
Health testing is very important for any reputable breeder, and especially in Goldens. I wouldn't even give a second glance to one that doesn't health test. I would also post your question in the "Choosing the Right Dog" forum.
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 5:35pm PST 
I did. I got one response, and they suggested posting it here. laugh out loud
[notify]
"Selli"

The Muddy- Princess

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 7:05pm PST 
Where do you live? The best way to find a good Golden is to contact you local Golden club's puppy referral person and go from there. I would be inclined to look for a breeder who breeds for conformation shows and obedience trials. Don't buy the line of a breeder who says they only breed pets or who breeds solely for service dogs. Goldens who are bred for field work or field/obedience may be a bit too energetic for most people who need a service dog unless they also plan to do field work and/or agility too.
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 7:45pm PST 
Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Thanks, I'll check them out!
[notify]
AILBE,- Service Dog- In Tng

Born To Serve- The Damsel In- Distress

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 8:19pm PST 
My first service dog was a rescue (Lab Rescue) and he's been the best service dog for the past 9 plus years. I know quite a few owner trainers and all of them had pound puppies.

My 2nd pup was donated to me -- a Standard Poodle -- and he's just as great as my current, but a goofy pup that you can't stop hugging. We had to take 8 months off of his training last year due to my dad's final months w/ cancer (I became his caregiver) and a move cross country. He's now back to school and he's catching up and is fantastic to have. I can't see spending the $$$$ on grooming either and I've learned to do it myself.

Goldens have to be brushed constantly and they shed like crazy. Also, during the hot weather they can get hotspots which can be pretty nasty to clear up.

I would go to the pound or find a rescue organization that has a litter of pups. Give them a great home and it could be your next service dog candidate.

Ailbe
[notify]
Luna

Future Service- Dog

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 8:33pm PST 
From what I understand, the problem with a rescue is not knowing their history. Not just their medical history, but the fear periods and exposures they have had. I'd rather set myself up for success if I go the owner-training route.

That being said, I do have a couple of local breed-specific rescues bookmarked, and I check them from time to time.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2