GO!

What did I get myself into? New dog!

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 12:19pm PST 
I posted in the laws and legislation about my next door neighbors tying their dog out a lot and eventually did talk to them after hearing from other neighbors that they were intending to rehome their Australian Cattle Dog.

I had talked to them, they said a friend was going to take her, but I offered to help find a home if that didn't work out and also to walk her in the meantime.

Today, I look out back and she's got her tie out wrapped around the lawn mower handle in their yard. I knocked loudly twice and yelled at their door, no answer. So me and my roommate get in the yard and free her. While pondering whether we should really retie her, she hops like a goat over their flimsy barricade and I go meet her out front.

I say what the heck, leave a note letting them know what happened and decide to go ahead and walk her.

A couple hours later the guy is back and working on his car. I've already made up my mind to further pester them about when this friend is really going to take her and think about offering money for her.

So I go out and ask if he saw my note and he says, "Yeah, why don't you go ahead and take her . . . she's good with you, I know you'll give her a good home." He calls his wife and she's perfectly fine with it.

So, yea! And YIKES! eeklaugh out loud

Her and Gus seem to be getting along great, some rough housing, now they're both chillin' . . . .

I already called my agility instructor and she offered that I could bring her along to class and play around in the beginners since the class is small and she won't charge us.way to go

Unfortunately she's not fixed, so I'll have to get that done. They think she's about 3.

Her name was Tara, but I've started calling her Polliwog (Polly)--seemed kind of Aussie sounding to me . . .laugh out loud My intention is to look for a good home with someone my instructor knows who will give her a good busy life . . . . we'll see . . . .

Polliwog and Gus
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 12:52pm PST 
She's cute and so is her name. smile
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 1:12pm PST 
You may be able to find a low cost spay neuter clinic in your area. I have an Italian greyhound and they are sensitive to anesthesia so I went to a vet who was sight hound savy, but most of my friends have used the low cost clinic with no problems. Its only $20 here. I think u may have an easier time rehoming her if she is spayed. I'm so glad u r giving her a temporary home where she won't be tied up.
[notify]

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 1:45pm PST 
Aha big laugh Put that in the "no good deed goes unpunished" file....I think it's fantastic. Take it as it comes....she looks darling and is lucky to have, erm, "arranged" her way in laugh out loud
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 3:00pm PST 
I know Tiller, right? laugh out loud I already made an appointment to take her to my vet for updating shots and a going over next week. They do a new dog exam free. I don't want to stress her quite yet with surgery right off the bat before she's had a chance to settle.

I saw the neighbor again and asked how much she'd ridden in cars. "Not much, once . . .but she was fine." So, yeah that probably wasn't to the vets if I had to guess . . .

I hope she doesn't come up heartworm positive, but I guess I'll deal with that too. Cross fingers she's only been left out a lot in the past three weeks or so and the mosquitoes are only just now coming out for the spring here. I don't recall them leaving her outside like this last summer.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 3:16pm PST 
Good for you for doing the right thing. Not too many people would do that. Good Luck in finding her a good home. way to go
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 4:28pm PST 
OMD, she is CUTE... I smell a FOSTER FAILURE here, BOL!
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 5:07pm PST 
That face, those ears...one more isn't such a big deal rilly...beautiful girl!smile
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 8:59pm PST 
Yikes, she is cute. And she gets along with Gus ... Major win. These dogs are usually buttheads when it comes to same sex snark. Congrats on the new pooch.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Sat May 18, '13 3:24am PST 
That's good to know JT! They're being carefully supervised, because they do get to wrestling pretty hard, and Gus has been known to do the prolonged pin where she holds a dog and then growls in their face, which can cross a line, so I'm making them take a break before it gets to that point.

Oddly, the rescue Gus came from, her best friend was a female cattle dog and there's a female cattle dog that she's met at our local bar that she gets along with well.

Usually Gus tends to be the female dog that doesn't seem bother iffy female dogs, but I'm not going to trust that in every case. I haven't seen her "live" with another girl yet, so I'm being cautious. The couple of dogs I've dog sat for any time have been male.

The new dog is a bit clingy with wanting the scritches and to jump right in my bed if I sit down, so I've put them in crates for the night, which seems to be going well. I thought, eh, better establish now that she doesn't just get to be in my bed on demand.

Gus sleeps with me sometimes but just as often she'll sleep any 'ol where in the house, and I didn't want her to feel like she was being edged out. And maybe seeing Gus sleep in the crate nonchalantly is helping Polly settle to it, which she's going to need.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2