GO!

IBD? Colon problems? Help!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 3:44am PST 
K has been having problems for several years now and it is getting worse. About 8-10 hours after his last meal, he starts breathing in short breaths with a sharp exhale, licking his lips, and gulping; at its worst he pants so heavily that the bed shakes. This *only happens at night.* In the day he sometimes a little tired if he had a very bad night, but otherwise looks healthy and happy and plays and exercises normally. I keep taking him to the vet, who doesn't see anything wrong, and where we are now is that they would need to do an intestinal biopsy or an endoscopy to diagnose him -- and they don't even know which of those they should do.

He is nine years old, normal weight, and bloodwork. His stool is sometimes yellow and unformed, sometimes brown and normal looking. After feeding commercial limited ingredient diet (Natural Balance) for a long time, on the theory that food allergies were in play, I switched him to home made. He now eats 50% meat, 25% veggie mix, 25% rice, and calcium. Switching to homemade did not seem to help his symptoms (although he likes it a lot more). I've tried varying the amount and times of day that he is fed (small meals, 3 times a day; no food at night time, etc) and it doesn't make a difference. However, if he fasts the day (for example, if he has been vomiting, and I fasted him), he does not have any problems, so it is clearly related to eating.

I hate seeing him suffer, but I hesitate to take him for an intestinal biopsy even if I could find someone I trusted to do that in my area. Last time I took him to the vet, they thought he had a sinus infection that had passed to the brain, drilled a hole in his skull to scope his sinuses and did a MRI; found nothing except unexplained sinus congestion. It's not clear to me that they could do much for him even if they identified the problem.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 11:19am PST 
You said you do home cooked. What meats and veggies do you use? Have you tried giving him a GasX with his meal? I know you've posted before, I just can't remember what's in your previous posts.
[notify]
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 2:23pm PST 
We've had these problems consistently regardless of what's been fed, and we've tried over the years a large number of things: premium kibble, limited ingredient kibble, premium canned (Weruva), and now homemade. No chicken, no grains. His current homemade diet is some combo of protein, 50% (turkey breast, beef, egg, cottage cheese, tuna, salmon), 25% rice, 25% veggies (such as carrots, peas, apple, banana, broccoli or kale, green beans). We've tried so many things that I am pretty confident that while diet can make it worse (fatty stuff seems to make it worse), nothing makes it go away.
[notify]

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 5:14pm PST 
Kali has had food issues for years. Its only been recently we've been able to control her stomach issues. Just for grins, you might try Hills Prescription z/d allergy food. I was completely against it at first, until we ran out of foods to try with her. It's very expensive, so I add some home cooked to make it last longer. The home cooked part goes in a food processor and is pureed. I soak both kibble and home cooked in water so it becomes a mush for easier digestion. Are there any foods you know for a fact that doesn't bother him, like maybe chicken or rice or sweet potato or anything else? We were at our wits end with Kali and considered having her put down. Our vet talked me into just trying the food. It worked for her. She has been healthy for a year now, knock on wood. Maybe you could just try it. I figure, it's cheaper than all the vet bills I was racking up. The only thing I can figure is, there is one or two ingredients that's in every food on the market that Kali can't tolerate. I can't do the elimination diet because she gets too sick. It sounds like your in the same boat. I also have her on Prozyme digestive enzymes to help her utilize the nutrients better and a GasX pill with each meal. She does a lot of burping after but she's much more confortable. I hope that helps. Good Luck and please keep us posted.

Edited by author Wed May 15, '13 5:18pm PST

[notify]
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 6:55am PST 
Thanks. I can't remember if we ended up on Z/D for a while because this has been going on for so long but since I can't remember it can't hurt to try it again. Yeah, I hate that stuff -- not a great quality dog food, and expensive -- but if it works, it works.
[notify]

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 2:50pm PST 
Please keep us posted. I hope it works for you. We were at our wits end with Kali. So, I know the feeling. Good Luck!
[notify]

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 2:53pm PST 
Oh, I also give her a GasX pill with her food. I don't know why, but she gets a lot of gas and that makes her uncomfortable too. The pill makes her burp it all up. Every now and then, I have to give her another one 2 or 3 hours later. After that, she's good. Good Luck! smile
[notify]