GO!

Not sure if my service dog is full breed

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Fenrir

FENNARRRRRRR

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 3:21pm PST 
frown I was told that my "German Shepherd" is actually mixed with an East-European Shepherd. If that is the case then it had to be from his dad but the mom was German. Would that mean he's a mutt? Even though they are still considered German shepherds? shrug It's confusing because he looks exactly like a German Shepherd but just a lot taller and muscular.
[notify]
Charlie- Chaplin

A day without- laughter is a- day wasted

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 3:55pm PST 
Looks like a German Shepherd to me but you don't have many pictures.

Why the frownie face? I think what matters is if he can do his job, not if he's a purebreed.

=)
[notify]
Iris vom- Zauberberg

Service Werewolf

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 4:48pm PST 
Even though the German Shepherd forum isn't very busy, you might try there for more expertise.

I think your pup looks absolutely lovely, and I'm also of the opinion that his temperament and ability to work is more important than whether or not he's a pure bred GSD.
[notify]

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 6:38pm PST 
I had a white shepard Or that was what I was told she looked more like a shylow shepard what ever that means. She was a light color but had the black muzzle and eye brows. She lived to be 17years old and died of a gastro diorder.
[notify]
Fenrir

FENNARRRRRRR

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 7:06pm PST 
I tried to post in the German Shepherd forums and my post was deleted for some reason. At first it didn't receive any replies and when I went to look for it, I didn't see it at all. I didn't say anything rude. And thanks for the compliments! I'm just a bit upset because I don't like being lied to. But I'm very happy with my pup! He is 5 months and is as big as a full grown Siberian Husky! He is goofy and very smart. I honestly think he is a G.S. His dad and mom had papers. I just don't know how to claim he is a purebred when there are different lines of G.S if you get what I'm saying lol! I don't want to lie and say is his if he isn't but I often have police officers adoring how big he is and they even tell me he looks like he would do awesome if he was a working dog on the force! cheer
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 7:22pm PST 
I know what you mean I had no papers for mine but the guy who gave her to me said she did have papers when he got her she was born in vermont and I had to rescue her so he was not going to just hand over the papers. I had her fixed so I was not really needing papers.
[notify]
Bella

Bed warmer

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 8:24am PST 
I know how you feel about being lied to, however this could be for the best though. A "pure bred" dog is more likely to have more health problems than a mixed breed dog, which is a huge problem in breeds like labradors and german shepherds.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 9:28am PST 
wave Fenrir. When you say East-European it may be someone thinking Czech lines, as opposed to American. It can get a bit confusing, but if that's the case, he would still be a purebred. Sorry your post in the gsd forum went unanswered. There hasn't been a lot of traffic there for a bit.
[notify]
Rest in- Paradise- Voltaire.- 1/1

Did somebody say- deer??

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 11:20am PST 
A "pure bred" dog is more likely to have more health problems than a mixed breed dog

That is complete rubbish.

Sorry for my french but it's a long proven untrue rumor. While there are lines of dogs within a breed with high COIs and some breeds with a smaller gene pool than others it's simply inaccurate to say that a purebred dog is more likely to have health problems than a mutt.
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 11:29am PST 
There is huge variation in the German Shepherd breed. First there are multiple lines or types of GSD, then you have people who are breeding for size or coat color/type so you also can have dogs way over standard and with different coat types, or colors that are not in the standard. So you can have dogs from 50-120+ pounds with quite a variety in appearance and all still be purebred GSDs.
So saying your dog is taller than a GSD doesn't really mean much since they can vary so much in size, way more than what you read in the breed standard. If a dog is too tall according to the standard it doesn't mean it's not a GSD.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2