GO!

Puppy has crispy eyes :o(

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 1:55am PST 
I'm wondering if anyone can give me any advice before I call the vet...

When I woke up this morning and let the dogs out, I noticed Skipper had a lot of green, crispy eye boogers around one eye... He usually has a bit but this morning there was a lot.

He also seems to have issues opening his other eye properly as he rubs it... I think it's itchy.

Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this?

I'm about to wipe them with Luke warm, salt water but would really like some more help...

I'm going to call the vet this afternoon, just in case.

Thanks in advance puppy

Edit to add:

Skip has quite long hair around his eyes that I'm going to get cut by a groomer.

He has also recently started digging :o/ and he loves to run in bushes and long grass... Being a terrier, he is in to everything!

Edited by author Mon Apr 22, '13 2:32am PST

[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 6:16am PST 
I don't think I would use salt water? That would really sting his eyes. It could be a number of things, but my first thought might be allergies?
[notify]
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 8:09am PST 
Thanks Scooter,

I didn't use salt water... When I thought about it, it didn't seem like a good thought... Instead I just used Luke warm water... I called my vet and he told me to use Benadryl... 1mg per pound of his weight... He isn't scratching at it as much but it still looks pretty swollen :o/ My vet told me that if it doesn't get better in the next couple of days, I've to take him in.

He's still his happy-go-lucky self so I'm guessing it's allergies too.

Thanks again puppy
[notify]

Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 9:37am PST 
ahhh ok...glad he's acting normally otherwise way to go
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 12:03pm PST 
Just wondering if you meant saline like is used for contacts? Having a Saint Bernard the first thing that comes to my mind is entropion (eyelashes grow into the eye) but any time the discharge is a greenish color could mean infection. I would ask the vet to take a look. I'd use saline solution, but I have it here all the time.
[notify]
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 3:37pm PST 
Thanks Tessie puppy

I never thought of that! I wear contacts so I always have saline solution handy puppy

The discharge that runs from his eye through the day is clear... When he wakes up in the morning it's crusty and green... I took him to the groomers and they cut the long hair around his eyes, in case that's the issue... Sometimes it looks as though the long hair irritates him :o/

His eye is still a bit swollen and he can't open it fully :o( But I've been cleaning it with Luke warm water every few hours...

If it doesn't improve I'm going to take him to the vet. Better to be safe than sorry puppy
[notify]
Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Mon Apr 22, '13 11:53pm PST 
another thing you may want to try is baby shampoo washes to the eyes. Sallie Mae has eye buggers and anytime that they seem to be more than usual, we do these. Just take a little baby shampoo in a cloth saturated with warm water and rub the baby shampoo in the eye area, then rinse well. No tears, and it makes their faces smell so good!! My vet suggested we do this with Sallie Mae and it really helps.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 2:15am PST 
Jackson had an eye infection with the same symptoms ages ago. Green and kind of crusty. It cleared up on its own, I just kept it clean like you're doing, but sometimes antibiotic cream is needed.
[notify]
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 10:14am PST 
Sallie Mai, I never thought of that... I might give that's try too.

JT, it does seen to be getting a little better puppy It wasn't crusty this morning but he still seems to rub it a bit. The vet said to carry on what I'm doing but I've booked Skip in at the vets on Thursday morning... Just in case puppy

Thanks again guys puppy

What would I do without you all?!
[notify]
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 11:22am PST 
Looking for a bit more help :o/

Skip's eye seems to have cleared up pretty well... He's keeping it open today which is great puppy The only thing is, I picked him up just now to have a look and when I touched the side of his face, he yelped in pain...

Any ideas?

Like I said before, I'm taking him to the vets on Thursday just to be sure but his yelping has me a bit worried :o(
It's obviously sore.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2