GO!

Recommended Probiotics

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 3:24pm PST 
What are anyone's probiotic of choice for their dogs? I've used FortiFlora from the vet, but never noticed a difference.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 3:28pm PST 
Huge fan of Prozyme here smile
Squ'mey has a delicate digestive sytem, guaranteed diarhea without the probiotics.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 5:27pm PST 
Onyx has a bit of a sensitive stomach, too (GSDs tend to), so I started using Gentle Digest by Ark Naturals after it was recommended to me. It does seem to help somewhat with loose stools. Haven't tried any other brands to compare though.

My issue with FortiFlora would be that it's made by Purina. For all I know it's a great product, I just don't trust the company.
[notify]

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 6:17pm PST 
I've used Ark Natural's Gentle Digest with good results. I usually use whatever I can find in the grocery now though.
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 7:47pm PST 
You use probiotics for humans?

Which brands and how do you know how much to feed?

Now i want to hunt those in the Super Market! l0l
[notify]
Bullie

Barked: Fri Apr 12, '13 8:51pm PST 
We're on a raw food diet... probiotics comes in the form of GREEN TRIPE.

Yes. Green tripe is more effective than any synthetic probiotic.
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Sat Apr 13, '13 7:02am PST 
I would love to feed green tripe but i haven't found any here. Yet. So i do want to know of ways to add it to their diets. Maybe live yogurt or something like thst can work?
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sat Apr 13, '13 7:36am PST 
Juts about everything I give to my dog is "for humans". I have found that the Gentle Digest works about the same as acidiophilus commonly used in "human" probiotics, so I don't see why I should spend 3 times more when I can find a larger bottle for a lower price.
I do not use any particular brand, I buy one, try it, and if it works I keep that in mind when I get more. I use a different brand almost every time due to curiosity.

I have not found yogurt to be very helpful. I've tried various brands and they are not as effective as a probiotic capsule.

Not everyone can get green tripe. And I am curious, as to how that is more helpful that a probiotic capsule, especially one that uses canine bactiera. Since, ya know, the probiotics in the tripe are the kind found in plant-eating animals, not carnivores. I'm not talking about enzymes, which, I will also add, are for plant-eating animals as well.
Just curious, not argumentative.
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Sat Apr 13, '13 8:48am PST 
How does one knows if they are working? And where do you buy Gentle Digest? And the dosage?

Sorry,wanna learn xD
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Apr 13, '13 10:30am PST 
Terry, it's working if it helps your dog's digestive issues, generally persistent diarrhea. I buy Gentle Digest online, but you can also buy probiotics at the grocery store. The dosage, at least for Gentle Digest, is on the bottle.

I feed a large portion of fresh green tripe once a week and a smaller dried piece with other meals, but I still feel the added probiotics are helpful. And as others have said, many people don't have access to fresh green tripe.

Edited by author Sat Apr 13, '13 10:35am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3