GO!

Choke or pinch collar?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Elvis Pawsly-

The king.

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 9:25pm PST 
So I have a 8 month Dalmatian puppy. He is weighing in at around 45 pounds. So he isnt huge but isnt tiny either lol. We have tried Halti (both mouth and harness) a no pull harness. So our two options right now are the choke or pinch collars. Which one to use? He pulls like crazy ! He always finds ways around the harnesses/haltis. Any advice? We have bought a choke collar for him but debating on just buying a pinch collar for him...thanks !
[notify]
Smokey

Let's play tug!!

Barked: Mon Apr 8, '13 11:25pm PST 
My suggestion is to skip the choke or pinch collar, which can cause all sorts of problems (collar shyness, aggression toward other dogs, etc) and work on some basic training using high-value treats. I would start with giving in to leash pressure indoors and then move on to loose leash walking.
[notify]
Thor CGC

God of Thunder

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 12:04am PST 
I would say neither unless you are working with an experienced trainer.

Problems come about when the tools are used improperly, as most people do. If you are working with a trainer they can help you select the right tools for your dog dog
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 1:31am PST 
I would not use either on a young dog, and never without proper instruction.
When you are walking and he pulls ahead turn around and go the other way. When he races past you do it again. It's boring but it works. I've walked the same 25 feet dozens of times.
Find an empty parking lot or field and do circles. Circle with the dog on the inside and don't be afraid to bump him. Start with a short but not tight leash and keep the circles big enough that you don't get dizzy. When he starts dragging behind circle with him on the outside, then switch to figure 8's just to keep him on his toes.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 4:42am PST 
I would save your money and use it to enroll in a good, positive based training class. With that you will get the help you need PLUS an opportunity to work on his issues with other dogs present for distraction.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 5:16am PST 
I agree with the other posters.

Check chain is not like a halter where you just slide it on and go, there is technique involved to administer a proper correction. It is NOT a self correcting tool and should never be used as such, a puller will just choke himself. Prong needs to be put on just so with links removed for the right fit and only light pressure used. It is really easy to mess up and hurt your dog if you don't know what you are doing. And I think your dog is too young. I would consult a trainer.
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 7:18am PST 
I would guess you weren't using the head halter or harness correctly if he managed to still pull through them. At least in my experience it was impossible for Ty to pull while wearing his Halti. I agree though, i would invest in some good, basic, obedience classes, which will help teach you how to get him to walk on a loose lead. Worked wonders with Ty!
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 8:13am PST 
The goal when using a tool like a gentle leader, pinch collar or front clip harness is to aim to get it off your dog as soon as possible. These are not long term solutions. Rather, they can help bridge a gap when dealing with managing distractions in the outside world while you work to teach your dog what is required of him while walking on a flat collar or off leash. To use any tool as a crutch without training means that you'll likely never get the behaviour you want without it, and it will likely cause the tool to be less effective as time goes on.

A pinch collar is more humane than a choke, but neither are particularly good at teaching your dog to enjoy walking at your side. That's where training classes can come in, or failing that, watching how-to videos of people using food and other reinforcement to reward their dogs for walking with them and not forging ahead.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 8:24am PST 
How exactly will these tools stop him?
If he pulled with a head halter on, a dog like a dalmatian will take that prong collar as a challenge and probably pull harder because of all his pent up energy!

Invest in a good trainer.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Apr 9, '13 10:05am PST 
Definitely save your money and find a good trainer instead. In my experience a dog determined to pull will pull no matter what collar you use. I had a border collie who would regularly pull hard enough to choke and make herself spit up...then keep going, didn't slow her down a bit.

A trainer can teach you all kinds of nifty exercises that will solve the problem.

My dogs are much older than yours and kind of set in their ways. I found that a soft harness gives me more control since it distributes their weight. After you've had some classes it might be something you want to try.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6