GO!

White Shepherd - Thin fur around the eyes?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Arkane

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 11:20am PST 
I'll post a picture later, but around Arkane's eyes there seems to be a little bit of hairloss. I've been watching him and he doesn't appear to be scratching it, the pigment is the right color, hes on kelp / fish oil at the moment and is eating a raw diet of beef and lamb.. He doesn't have hair loss anywhere else..

But, I looked up pictures to see if it is something genetic and I noticed a lot of White Shepherds have this..

http://www.polarbearpuppies.com/Casper_eyes.jpg
http://ww w.rainbowwhiteshepherds.com/images/Dee_Smiling.jpg
http://farm9.sta ticflickr.com/8021/7136407883_1572f0f528_z.jpg
http://www.petclassi fieds.us/user_images/7827979.jpg

I looked in the standard and didn't see anything on it and couldn't find anyone else asking about it.
Do you think this is something to worry about? Yay / Nay?
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 12:02pm PST 
Um... not sure if this forum is the right place to post this?

But anyways, I don't see anything abnormal. Miyu has the same, as does almost every other white shepherd that comes through our rescue. Can you clarify what is worrying you? Is it because it looks like you can see skin through the fur?
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 12:47pm PST 
What does your breeder say? I'm on my phone so won't go the links til later. But I would talk to my vet & my breeder. Fwiw, none of my whites have had this. But without a picture it is hard to give any advice.
[notify]

Miyu CGC

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 12:58pm PST 
Squ'mey, I was looking at the pictures and you'll have to judge for yourself, but I didn't see anything abnormal....
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 4:00pm PST 
Rollover pictures just to make them a little easier to view:

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

I see what you mean about less hair around the eyes, but I've never thought it was anything unusual. Could it just be his coat going from a puppy coat to an adult coat causing the changes you're seeing? Squ'mey will probably have a better answer when she looks at the pictures.

Edited by author Sat Apr 6, '13 4:02pm PST

[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 4:01pm PST 
Arkane is a rescue.

Some minor hairloss around the eyes isn't a huge deal and I wouldn't worry about it much. Mulder had rings around his eyes for a while when he was still in his growing phase- as long as it isn't completely bald and doesn't look red or inflamed, I wouldn't do anything about it.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 4:08pm PST 
MANY puppies don't have any exposure to sun when they really need it, and sadly, vitamin D is not a big concern in most dog foods. Some vets believe a mild reaction to demodex also has a bearing on it. I have seen whole litters at 8 to 10 weeks with NO hair around their eyes in a huge ring, but all are ultimately normal. It is usually Winter puppies that are affected the most.
It takes FOREVER for this hair to grow back fully. It really doesn't look bad to me, at all, for his age and history.
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 4:26pm PST 
Arkane, if you can post pics I can ask the lady that runs our white GSD rescue what she thinks...
[notify]
Arkane

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 4:31pm PST 
Sorry I wasn't sure which forum this would go in, cause I kinda thought it was genetic and this one seemed best to ask about specific breeds.

I guess I was just worried because I could see his skin and it made his face seem really dark and sunken in. It's not inflammed but it just looks weird.. Though now that I look at Nare's face the fur is thinner around his eyes too, but I don't really notice it because his fur is darker I think...

It doesn't seem to be abnormal though, because both Squ & Miyu have it.

& Toto that is very interesting..! I do live in WA as well.. But I didn't think dogs could get a Vit D deficiency, or it never occurred to me that it may be a problem. It looks like I might have to feed more Fish & Eggs, google says they're rich in Vit D. Thank you!

Arkane was a rescue and was weaned too early / bottle fed, estimated to be born in October / November. So it isn't very surprising. Just me being weird, it just really stood out on his white coat.

Thank you all smile
[notify]
Arkane

Barked: Sat Apr 6, '13 5:02pm PST 
Hi Miyu
Heres a picture. Now that I look at it, it doesn't look as bad as some other dogs lol.. I'm just silly ):

Edit:
Arkane is also really small.. At 4 months he hit 36lb and hes about 6 months now and is the same weight. I kinda think he might have a little collie in him? Don't know

Arkane

Edited by author Sat Apr 6, '13 5:18pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2