GO!

Dogs that know 100 tricks but can't loose-leash walk?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 9:38am PST 
It sort of just surprises me how many "well trained" dogs I see that can't walk on a loose-leash or not jump on strangers; dogs that essentially lack manners. A "trainer" I worked with has a youtube page of her dogs getting drinks from the fridge and doing hand-stands but OMD are they awful when it comes to real-world goals. One dog she has had for several years can't come to work because he's leash aggressive -- I've seen it and it's nothing that can't be fixed. And the other she's had for over a year that still attacks me to say hello or if I have food in my hands. The dog pulls her all over the place and is now having to wear a halti. Clearly she spends time training the dogs, but is she just not training what matters or is teaching manners harder than teaching tricks?

I see this with a lot of "youtube stars" that I've met. Their dogs are just "sooooo awesome" and smart and they can't even master a loose-leash walk or heel. None of them have their CGC or any titles or really anything at all... So what's going on here? Is it really that complicated?

thinking
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 11:23am PST 
LOL I was wondering if you were watching Maci in our house last night. She can do tricks, heck she has rally ob titles but her 6 year old self can not keep 4 feet on the floor when greeting people!

She can if there is food involved and she can with certain people. Our problem is the people who visit that refuse to help by ignoring her or making her sit, etc. Most times if I have a heads-up that someone is coming over, she is in a crate.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 11:30am PST 
I think that if the fate of the world depending on Jewel LLW we would all be doomed. shrug Three OB classes and even the trainer can't get her to LLW. All those "turn around", "stop and wait" etc etc don't work with her. If I stop I stand there with her sitting at the end of a tight leash, she doesn't slack off. shrug I saw a different trainer that honest to dog told me to use a head halter on my 8.6lbs dog. Yeah....I think I'll just live with her walking infront.
[notify]

Shadow

Lets GO

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 11:39am PST 
Shadow knows dozens of tricks but we struggle with the day to day stuff. That's not to say we aren't working on it but she seems much more 'in' to action then inactionshrug Tell her to tunnel she's on it, ask for a down I get speak, spin and wave.laugh out loud Weave, no problem. Heel, forget it. I would guess that like a kid she likes the fun stuff but school is boring. Ask a thousand kids what they like best about school, the answer is recess.
The great thing about the internet is anyone can be a star. It's all in the editing, and the very reason we need to be diligent in our research.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 11:42am PST 
You're right Shadow, I had trouble with Jewel giving me a "roll over" everytime I asked for a "down". Just more fun I guess but I had visions of her rolling over in the ring during the long down. shock
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 11:44am PST 
My boys know many commands, very good recall and they will walk perfect next to me off leash, but put a leash on either one them and they'll pull your arm out of the socket.
[notify]
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 12:18pm PST 
Rocky had amazing recall, was polite when meeting friends or strangers and his loose leash walking was amazing... He never pulled but I think he was a bit of a geek lol. However, his trick training was limited... He could shake and swap paws, sit, lay down and speak but that was it...

Dexter is fab off leash but on leash, good dog, he sucks lol... His trick training is good but then, he'll do anything for a tennis ball :o/ Heel is hard with Dexter, just because he is full steam ahead all the time... He doesn't do slow! His recall is so good only because he can run full speed back to me. His trick training is good because he knows if he does as I ask, he gets to chase the ball. But anything that involves him being calm and collected?... No chance!

Skip, at eleven weeks old can sit, lay down, roll over and beg but his leash is just a very fun toy that he can chew when he walks and that's what we're working in most... His recall is lacking a bit too but I think that's mainly down to his terrier instincts lol... He likes to follow his nose rather than follow or listen to me but he's still a baby so there's hope for him yet lol...

UGGIE! WATCH THIS SPACE!!! puppy
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 12:22pm PST 
I feel like it would be similar to expecting a child who's good at science to be equally good at math. It just doesn't work like that. Everyone's brain is wired differently, including dogs.

Not to say they CAN'T learn how to have good manners, but it's not the same as teaching a fancy trick. The dog may have more fun and be able to focus more on learning fancy tricks than they are with learning how to walk nicely on a leash. Likewise, a dog who has excellent manners may suck at learning pointless tricks.

Nix heels beautifully OFF-leash, but only off-leash (he doesn't pull... He just doesn't heel.) I think he doesn't understand why he should heel on-leash, whereas off, he knows he's off, and he understands that sometimes I need him to walk close to me.

Ava knows dozens of tricks which she'll perform one after the other (as long as you have treats) She even has her trick dog title. But by around age 2 she randomly decided she was going to start pulling on the leash, and it's been a major struggle getting her to stop. She'll be 4 years old in two weeks, and her pulling is worse than ever, unless she's wearing her head halter. Baffling too, since she was so good at loose leash walking when she was younger. thinking

Edited by author Tue Mar 19, '13 12:25pm PST

[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 12:27pm PST 
If i was looking for a trainer and/or behaviourist i'd expect them to have the basics covered with their own dogs, including LLW. It's not exactly encouraging when your trainer's dog is more out of control than your own! shock

Both my two walk well on a loose lead but admittedly it did take the longest to teach. Don't know why really, because once i found the right method it was the EASIEST to teach laugh out loud But i think most people seem to struggle with lead work.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 1:06pm PST 
Missy tell me your method!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6