GO!

blow out

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 5:26pm PST 
So now that the weather is warming my huskies are having their blow out.....Mika, my 3 yr old does not blow out very badly, but Lexus is.....I do know it is normal and they are suppose to do this and everything but my question is, she seems to be losing to much on her back legs. There is way to much fur missing.....she is not bare, but I feel she has lost to much....has anybody else had this problem? Should I be worried? I ask because as I said Mika, when she has her blow out......she still has lots of fur everywhere, so this is new to me....any advice is appreciated.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 2:46pm PST 
There are subtle differences in coat texture that can cause dramatically different coat blows. Ember's fur is very silky, so she tends to shed more uniformly with minimal clumping. The summer into winter blow is barely noticeable. Winter into summer she'll suddenly be leaving fur behind everywhere, and if I brush her you can actually see the different thicknesses in her coat where the fur has let loose and where it hasn't.

Here's a pic from last spring.

Fox has a courser coat and is much more traditionally clumpy. You can literally just pull it out by the handful if I go too long without brushing. It sticks out everywhere and generally looks absolutely terrible for a month or so, no matter how much work I put into it. Vance was somewhere between the two of them - he'd start to clump a bit, and when I started brushing it'd come out like Ember's coat.

Their coat blows did not sync up, either. Vance went early, then as he was finishing Fox would start, and as she is finishing Ember will start. Super fun for me. No one was ever shedding at the same time.

So... Probably normal on all counts and nothing to worry about.

I would be concerned & seek veterinary advice if:
- The skin underneath is excessively swollen, red, dry, flaky, scaly or otherwise irritated.
- There are areas of bare skin.
- Guard coat is coming out in clumps. Guard coat should turn over gradually, not in the same chunky "blow" as the undercoat.
- Fur is not growing back
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 3:48pm PST 
O.k thanks very much Ember.
Sounds exactly right. Lexus's fur does feel different then Mika's and hers is coming in clumps, Mika hasn't started yet but when she does it doesn't clump at all.....so majorly different, good to know that is normal though. Thanks for the info! way to go
[notify]