GO!

Ridiculous things people assume about dogs.

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 23: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 7:40pm PST 
I didn't know where to put this, so I guess here since it sort of pertains to types of dogs...?

Anyways, I just felt like making a list of some of the ridiculous "facts" people have taken it upon themselves to inform me of... and I got to wondering what crazy things you all have heard too. smile

1. Someone told me that German Shepherds are the ONLY breed that has a black mask.

2. Someone else told me that Ava HAS to be part Springer, because Springers are the only breed that has a white blaze going up the nose.

3. Yet another person told me that Border Collies can never be off leash because they'll run off and never come back. ... Hmm... So how do you suppose they herd sheep if they can never be off leash? laugh out loud

So what crazy "facts" about dogs have you all heard from know-it-alls? smile

Edited by author Sun Feb 24, '13 7:44pm PST

[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 8:23pm PST 
Sarah has to be part pointer or part dalmatian because she has spots.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 8:37pm PST 
Onyx must be part Lab because he's all black. I mean, it's not like lots of breeds come in all black.
[notify]

Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 8:40pm PST 
And Lizzie (my black tri Aussie) is a Collie, because Aussies only come in "that funny spotty color like a leopard"....naughty
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 9:11pm PST 
Haha.. That a dog has to have a litter of pups before being spayed.

I've had someone tell me that Beagles are 'dumb Jack Russels'. Uh.. No. Neither breed is even remotely similar and there isn't a breed out there that I would call dumb. In fact, the so-called trainer that said this and had trouble TRAINING a Beagle.. was trying to train it not to point and thought they were dumb because he would not leave both paws on the ground while sitting.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 9:24pm PST 
Jake must be noisy because all beagles bark incessantly. My beagle barks at intruders and people who loiter too close to us when we're out in the yard and they're supposed to be walking by.

Jake must be dumb or stupid because he's a beagle. * I was one of these people Until i got my dog and learned just how amazing and smart he is. *

Jake can't be a beagle because he's too skinny. ** Um no he's just fit and he eats a regulated diet*

Jake has to be part basset hound because he's so big. ** Um no Jake's a 14" beagle. Yes yes they do come in that size.

Jake must be scared or frightened of large dogs because he's a "Small" dog. ** No >.> Jake's best friend was a Nuffie

Jake must have been untrainable becasue he's a beagle. ** No, jake preformed great in all his classes. WHile it took us some time. It was all about finding the right treats to make it happen. And Jake is task trained. Though he was washed do to bad eyes. He can't see very far ahead of him anymore. Training a beagle is all about finding what they love. Jake was motivated highly be food. But i've met some beagles who would screw the spam and do tricks for a ball. I really wish jake had been one of those beagles. but alas he is not and a lot of spam and chicken went into making his training work.

Or worse i get the OMD your beagle listens to you?! He comes when you call him?!!! NO WAY!!! response from people.

Jake can't eat fruit or veggies because he's a dog. ** Yes yes he can. He loves watermelon and honeydew and he loves green beans and spinach.

Those are all i can think of for now.

edit:

Beagles must be really active all the time. He must drive you crazy.

** Jake at least is pretty inactive indoors. but once we go outside it's all nose to the pavement. big grindog walk

Edited by author Sun Feb 24, '13 9:25pm PST

[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 9:29pm PST 
Just remembered another ridiculous one... although it was a question someone asked a friend of mine.

"My dog has been misbehaving lately! Should I get him a distemper shot?" laugh out loud She thought distemper was for poorly-behaved dogs!
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 10:15pm PST 
OMG that's pretty funny. big laugh
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 6:09am PST 
Border Collies come in black and white only (and sometimes liver/white), so Cobain is not purebred.

Oz is too skinny to be a purebred beagle - he is obviously mixed with JRT

Border Collies are vicious and unpredictable.

You cannot play fetch with Border Collies because it will make them psycho.

Oh and every undesirable trait a dog has can be "loved" out of them.
[notify]
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 8:34am PST 
The comments with the general theme of 'goldens are the best dogs because they are born trained'.

This weekend it was that general theme but the person wanted to know why I would bother having them on leash...hello- it is the law shrug But she thought it was because Harley was a show dog and he does not like getting dirty.

The other comment I dislike is 'my dog is doing it to spite me'. And then you find out the dog is a rescue and this walk is his first time on a leash.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 23: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]