GO!

Moose is a good boy

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 8:39am PST 
The other morning I took Moose around the block one last time before I left for work.
When we got home I went to the back of the house to finish getting ready for work. I may have been back there for 10 minutes or so.
I walked to the front of the house where was Moose laying on the floor of the living room, like normal, but I noticed that it was pretty cold in that room and that's when I noticed the front door was open. The door was open about a third the way and Moose had been starting at the opening the whole time he'd been lying there.

I was so shocked by the fact that not only did Moose not walk right out that door, but he just laid there with his chin on the floor staring directly outside the whole time I was in the back of the house.
I dropped to the floor to give him a big 'ol hug and tell him what a good boy he was and how much I loved him.

My front door doesn't shut fully unless it's slammed and I guess I didn't slam it that time.

I was shocked that Moose didn't take advantage of an open door. I don't think he'd run away. Actually, I'm pretty sure of it, but I thought an unattended open door would at least invite a sit on the front porch or a visit to my next door neighbor. So glad it didn't though.

Has your dog done something, good or bad, that's surprised you? You thought that'd he'd do X, but instead did Y?
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 10:07am PST 
Moose is a good boycheer
I have a gate latch that can be bumped open. I never worry about Sabs but the other day Shadow was running around and it opened. Not only did she not go out the gate but she ran to me barking, like 'Mom, the gates open.' It was cute.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 10:15am PST 
That is one of those proud momma moments, isn't it?! You should be extremely proud. Not "good boy," but "EXCEPTIONAL boy."

I have something similar, if a little different. Had to do with my little Dachshund, Oscar, who never listened to me and was very sassy laugh out loud We were vacationing and took a starlit ride in the Adirondacks, but it was still very dark as there are no street lights. We paused by the lake, and all hopped out to admire the stars while the dogs sniffed around, and then hopped back in the car. We'd driven off maybe ten minutes when I realized Oscar was NOT IN THE CAR! Driving back was the longest ten minutes in my life. You are talking about a little Mr. Adventure type Dachshund out there in the wilderness. At night. How on earth are we to find him? Who would we call the next morning? How would we, on vacation, put out "lost dog" flyers? And we only had four days for someone to stumble upon him? I mean....we had to get home at some point! I reminded myself of our childhood cat, Moose (no, I am not making that name up, Moose the dog! laugh out loud), who went missing for SIX weeks back when my family was vacationing there, but showed back up on the day we were leaving....how cat like can you get laugh out loud But this was a mini Dachs, with no sense of the world and a curious nose. All I could do was get more and more in a state of panic of this little dog, unlike Moose (the cat) not a half mile from town but in the middle of NOWHERE. I am always a careful manager with my dogs, but while he jumped in, he must have turned around and hopped back out, with it too dark for us to have noticed. It was just so tragic. He was black and small, so very easy to not notice him not being in the car as we pulled away. It was just so sad and tragic frown

As we arrived back at the spot to begin our futile search, as his recall was, well, NOT laugh out loud.....Dennis turned the car into the spot and as the spotlight shone? OSCAR! There he was! At the very spot we pulled away from. Just sitting patiently and awaiting our return! laugh out loud big laugh Hadn't moved in an inch! Just sat and waited for us.

I had been very breedist. I would not say without justification....the GSD and Doberman we had at the time, both I am sure would have dutifully waited....but a little hound doggie? I thought for SURE he'd be off and away. But he really had shown the sense to figure we did not mean to leave and that we would be back. Had the horse sense to just stay put. *Amazing*!
[notify]

Grunt CGC

WWGD or What- Would Grunt Do?

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 10:16am PST 
Way to go Moose! cheersnoopycheerapplause

Hubby got the trash together and forgot to take the bag out of the kitchen to the garbage can outside. We went to work, were gone 10 hours shock I thought, wooo boy, we're in for a mess. Well we got home and neither Darcy or Grunt got into the garbage! No interest whatsoever! cheercheer
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 11:34am PST 
Yay Moose!happy dance

I still remember a long time ago when Sanka was still young, somebody left the gait to the yard open. For sure he ran about the neighborhood, so not that good, but the way Sanka goes, I never expect him to come back. We always had to go get him. When I got home from school, I happened to look out the window and see Sanka laying in the shade in our driveway. He had his fill and actually came back home all on his own. Something I just never in a million years would have expected. I didn't even think he knew where home was.
[notify]
Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 12:01pm PST 
Go Moose!! big grin

I remember a time when Ava was just barely over a year old. She and I were living with my step-dad, and I had made myself a hot bowl of beef ramen noodles, and set it down on the little foot stool (which doubled as a cheap computer desk so I could lay on the floor and browse internet at the same time. lol) in my room while I went in to the other room to get something. Now, Always-Hungry-Never-Satisfied-Ava COULD have taken the opportunity to help herself to the ultra-tempting beef noodles, but instead she chose to follow me in to the other room!

That was when I first realized that I'm able to trust her with my food when I leave the room. My fiance can too. But Ava's a smart girl and if she knows someone will let her get away with it, she will steal food. Like from his parents... Although I feel that if they're not paying attention to their plate AND not going to try and stop her when she approaches them, they're asking for it. It's easy to tell Ava to go away. She'll listen. They just don't. wink

Edited by author Thu Feb 21, '13 12:04pm PST

[notify]
Mozart

I am Fearless

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 2:51pm PST 
Way to go Moose what a smart boy. I have a story Mozart was under 1 years old and we were in the process of moving. Well we had a guy Come over and fix something in the house including painting the doors. Well the back door was painted and had to be open for a couple of hours. Well Mozart normally likes to run out doors and then if you try to get him he plays chase me if you can and he can run super fast. Well that door was open and I was making lunch, and he ran out but not in the yard we had no fence but he stayed on the patio looked at me ran back in the house I gave him some of the lunch meat from my sand which. And he continued to do that until I finished my lunch. Its like he was saying see mom I can listen and not run away it really was funny, and how can people say dogs are not smart. There also was distractions outside like our neighbors outside and Mozart is so friendly and excited meeting people it really shocked me he did not run out of the yard to say hello.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 5:58pm PST 
Kali can't have any deviation from her diet or she gets deathly ill. I was in a hurry the other day and left the bird suit out on the counter where she could reach it. I had gone to work and completely forgot about it. When I came home, it was still sitting there. Neither Kali or Koby touched it the whole time I was at work. I guess the phrase " leave it" has been etched in their minds. shock
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 6:01pm PST 
Oooops, forgot........Moose that's great! You were a good boy. applause
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 6:17pm PST 
Good for Moose!

Ace has been out in the backyard with either Kale or Teeko when THEY got out (Once with Kale, twice with Teeko - We fixed the spot). She was a good girl and didn't follow. Clearly only half husky laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2