GO!

Got my first lecture from the vet this morning . . .

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 9:48am PST 
Salmonella, e-coli, if you wouldn't eat why would you feed it to your dog, parasites, imported meat from south of the border, at least cook it before you feed it, don't ever give raw chicken it is the worst, much more expensive than feeding eukanuba, blue, etc.

I know I glazed over and thought "this is everything that I heard that you were going to tell me" He was not pleased with the idea at all!

So really, how many of you have had vet bills because of salmonella or e-coli while your dog was on PMR diet?
[notify]
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 9:50am PST 
Never once.

But I had lots of vet bills from what I suspect to have been a bad immune reaction to annual vaccines with Mulder a couple years back smile
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 10:50am PST 
Never.

Sounds like a lot of uneducated fear-mongering.
[notify]

Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 11:20am PST 
Perhaps you could tell him that people are more likely to get salmonella and e-coli from eating SALAD than from handling raw meat. wink Really, ever since my fiance started working produce at the store he works at, I've been hearing all these warnings about the prepackaged salads, and how often they have recalls.

I don't feed raw as a main diet because A: no freezer space, and B: can't afford it, but I give them all kinds of raw snacks, including chicken, quail, turkey, and sometimes beef and venison. Have never had any issue with sickness or parasites. smile
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 12:11pm PST 
Never.

I get a lecture every time I go in.
First they tell me what great condition he is in, how his teeth are wonderful, his eyes are sparkling, etc. etc..
Ask me what diet he is on and then start back pedaling LOL.

My dogs eat human grade meat that is locally sourced. So I'm not worried at all.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 1:16pm PST 
I've only been feeding raw (prey model) since 2009, but neither of my dogs has ever had to go to the vet for anything diet related in the time I've fed raw.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 1:21pm PST 
No Salmonella, but a close to 1000 dollar vet bill when Savvy had a bad reaction to a food allergy...kibble related.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 4:17pm PST 
Chance used to go to the vet every 2-3 months for health problems and we spent a fortune of prescription meds.

Since switching to raw last year she has gone to the vet 2 times: annual exam and lump aspirate.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 4:26pm PST 
Cookie has been on raw for over a year now! No vet visits except her annual and she was in 'excellent body condition' wink

It's good to be aware of those bad things, but it's a fact that our dogs are doing just fine, if not great on raw meat.
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 4:34pm PST 
Never had a problem with raw meat giving the dogs (or me) any type of food borne illness....but I recently came down with a bout of food borne illness after eating mayonnaise from a local deli confused I even shared the bread (that had the mayo on it) with the dogs and they didn't get sick....yet me (the poor human) spent three days hanging out in the bathroom, plus another two days feeling like dog droppings.

Whenever my vet gets a new helper in they give me the full spiel...I then inform them that they may want to keep it to themselves as the real vet doesn't mind and loves how healthy Mags is (she used to be a very frequent visitor - he is happy to not see her except for emergencies).
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3