GO!

Bruising on Stomach

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Kodie

U have no toy to- throw? Ill get- you one!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 12:06pm PST 
Anyone ever seen bruising on a dog's stomach? And what was the cause?

Last night I found a bruise on Kodie's stomach in the spot where he has a scar from a surgery to fix a hernia when he was 8 weeks old. Kodie went into the groomer today and I had the vets look at it, unfortunately my usual vet, who is the owner, is at a conference in Florida. Bleh. So, a vet I've never talked to told me that it was a bruise and that it didn't look fresh. She thought he had bled at some point. She offered to do a full blood work up, but Kodie is seeing his internalist tomorrow for his two week re-check from bloating.

I swear it wasn't there the other night, so not sure what this vet meant by "fresh". THe other night we almost took Kodie into the ER for bloat again, but Pepcid did the trick and slowly Kodie was comfortable again. Now he has the bruise on his stomach. Coincidence??
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 4:29pm PST 
Not sure what would cause it, but please keep us posted with what the vet says tomorrow. hug
[notify]
Kodie

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 5:09pm PST 
Thanks for the support, and I'll def update.

When I picked the boys up from grooming I was surprised to see Kodie in a short hair cut. He really had a lot of hair on him going in! I wasn't so surprised at the hair but as soon as I saw him my first thought was, oh no, he has lost weight! I just hadn't noticed it because of the thick hair! I put him on the scale and the vet checked his records to find that he has lost five pounds in the last few months. And he was thin to begin with. He's always been very fickle about food, but been able to maintain a steady weight.

Oye, just another thing to deal with tomorrow at the internalist appointment.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 4:21pm PST 
How's Kodie doing?
[notify]
Kodie

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 6:00pm PST 
Well we made progress on some things during Kodie's appointment.

We were having issues, or rather concerns, with Kodie's constant panting and inability to settle down. The vet remarked that those were side affects to the steroids he is on, as is muscle wasting. She noticed muscle wasting in Kodie's hind end, which is very evident. So, his medication for inflammatory bowel disease has been significantly dropped down. Hopefully that will solve the those concerns!

Next was the bruise. She said it is concerning because when Kodie came in for bloat his platelet levels were very, very low. So low that the first vet told me operating at that time was out of the question and Kodie would bleed out. Well the levels bounced back the next day. So, something could be up with the platelet levels again. We decided to wait on drawing blood to see if the bruise heals on its own. If it isn't better in the next few days then we will go back and run more blood.

Additionally I now have a full supply of extra strength gas-x for those times when Kodie is looking like he might be bloating again. Up until now I've been using pepcid for the couple of times that I thought we might be going into full bloat again.

So we are taking it day by day! Today was a good day for Kodie, which was very nice to see!
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 5:47pm PST 
Kali's mother died of bloat. A while back we have x-rays done and the vet was very concerned that Kali had lots of gas in her intestines. So she recommended we put her on gas-x with her meals. It works great. She spends a lot of time burping. It's better it comes out than stays in. Glad Kodie is doing better. Hope he makes a full recovery.
[notify]