GO!

Homemade Treats that are safe for puppy tummies?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Cherry

Pretty please,- with a cherry on- top?

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 12:18pm PST 
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any easy treat ideas for pups that I could make at home, maybe for my girl to entertain herself with in her crate...

With my last dog I used to spread a bit of peanut butter along the rims of one of those hollowed-out bones you can get at the store, and stick it in the freezer. I don't know if that's a little too much for a 4 mo. old digestive tract to handle?

A friend of mine suggested pumpkin, but I'm hesistant about that, as well.

Does anyone have any siggestions?
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 1:43pm PST 
Pumpkin is high in fiber and really good for the digestive system. It is usually given to dogs with soft stool to firm it up, so I think you hit the jackpot with that one!

Peanutbutter shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as you don't cram it in there, give him enough to get a taste and keep him busy.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 10:57pm PST 
Pumpkin is good for your dog, I just read about it the other day. For my dogs, I would usually give them cooked beef and chicken. Other times, I'd give them oatmeal. laugh out loud
[notify]

Dexter

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 6:42am PST 
What I do I get a kong full it 2/3 full with kibble and then the top 1/3 with canned pure pumpkin. Then I freeze for a few hours. My pup loves it, pumpkin has good fiber and helps keep puppy tummies happy and is low fat so I don't feel guilty giving him this daily plus he loves finding all the kibbles when they spill out at the end. At first id just mix the pumpkin and kibble and stuff it all in but his tongue could never get the bottom bits out and it frustrated him so this is the perfect technique I've developed.
[notify]
Tanqueray- Tonic

I kiss with my- teeth!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 12:59pm PST 
We make "pupsicles" in an ice cube tray made out of peanut butter (no salt or anything added) a plain yogurt (not sweetened). Plus some fruits or veggies. Eg. shredded carrots, shredded coconut, mushed bananas, apple bits, blueberries, etc.
[notify]