GO!

walking 2 dogs

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 8:25pm PST 
Hi every pup, I was wondering if anyone has any tips on walking 2 dogs at once? Mika is my 3 yr old Husky and a few weeks ago I adopted a 5 month old Husky named Lexus. I have been mostly walking them separately so that I could keep Mika's routine as normal as possible and so she could have one on one time with me while she was adjusting to having a new pup around. But now that they are getting along very well and Mika is not so much jealous anymore I think I can start walking them together now but the couple times I have, I must admit it is not the easiest so I am wondering if anyone has any tips on walking a pup and an adult dog together.
Thanks in advance for any advice. smile
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 12:49am PST 
I like to use a nice long double clip leash or a coupler to walk two dogs at once. Keeping two dogs kinda smushed together can make it a bit easier for you. Good leash manners are a must though because if you have two pullers in one hand you might get dragged, lol!
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 2:31am PST 
I second the coupler suggestion.

as long as your dogs are about the same size, couplers are great for keeping control of 2 dogs at once. (I've found if one is small enough to walk underneath the other, it can get a little messy)
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 3:57am PST 
I do the one in each hand method. I walk Fritz, Auda, and Cocoa at the same time. Fritz in one hand and Auda and Cocoa (small) in the other. One has to pay close attention and be ready to duck under a leash to keep them from getting tangled together or getting hog tied by the leash.

I like to use a retractable leash,(mine are around 10 feet, the long one's can be hard to keep in control with more then one dog) but if you do, you must know how to use them. (keeping the leash short when needed and know how to use the brake to suck the dogs back in if needed. They are only allowed to get long at the park or other place where they are not in danger or near other dogs, people, or traffic)

I would start out using two short leashes and slipping your hand through the loop in the leash. (I have been told not to do this, that I could be pulled into traffic of a dangerous situation...My dogs don't pull and I would rather be at risk with my dogs, then feeling guilty for letting my dogs get away/into trouble and be hurt)

You will need to practice moving your dogs around with the leash. Watch out for trees or anything you could get wound around and have fun.
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 4:17am PST 
I have 4 dogs and often walk them together or in pairs. I walk 2 in each hand or if my daughter is with me she walks the littlest one( if I have a stroller, I tie the little one to it), I find it easiest to not let the dogs cross in front of me, they pick a side when we start and that is where they stay. I also do not allow pottying on walks because if one goes they all have to go in the same spot. Of course if we are at the park walking I do not care much. When I am teaching leash manners to a new dog, I do not walk them together because it is too difficult to correct them with two dogs in one hand, or turn around quickly with dogs and leashes everywhere. So I walk the one in training by themselves until they have learned a certain level of leash skills. I also would say that a coupler can come in handy but again if you new pup needs some training I wouldn't recommend it because any dog attached as to follow. My dogs are too far apart in size for it, but I have used it with a foster dog and my dog. When training our lab I would run her, then do some leash work and then come back and pick up one of the older dogs, so the young was tired, but refreshed on the leash.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 5:24am PST 
three here....i walk two in one hand, one in the other. The key is short leashes....no flexi leashes. It gets too crazy.

Also, I'm not crazy about the coupler. I found that one would sit down to pee and the other would pull them while they were doing their business confused Then I had to hold the coupler so one wasn't pulled.
[notify]
Lexus

shy girl

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 10:13am PST 
O.k thank you all for the info. I dont think a coupler would work for them though because the pup is still kind of zig zagging everywhere and they would just get tied a lot I think. What I am trying now is as Fritz says, one leash in each hand. I haven't done it much though, I have been taking them separate most of the time, but now that Lexus is learning more on the leash and actually wants to walk forward and whatnot, I think it would be o.k to take them both. Until she learns more on the leash though I am thinking it may be best to have one leash in each hand. That way I can have a different type of control for the pup as I would need with Mika. I worked a lot with Mika on the leash when I got her and she walks wonderfully now, and I dont think she would appreciate being pulled on the leash by Lexus BOL!! Well wish me luck anyways cause the double dog walking has to be done!!!! Thank you all for your advice way to go
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 10:14am PST 
If we don't do one on one walks, I am usually walking up to 6 dogs at a time. I use couplers, make sure the length of the leashes is the same and match the dogs size and energy wise, so my dogs with similar walking styles get coupled together.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 10:25am PST 
I took 2 6 foot leashes that I joined at the handles..making a 12 foot leash with a dog on each end. I put one dog on each side & gather the excess in front of me. That way, one dog can get a little ahead, one can lag a bit, they can both be in front, even zigzag. We have 3 walking cues..."we're walking" is a loose leash style where they can be in any position, sniff things..but we don't stop. Then there is "OK" (my release word)..sniff, mark, pee, poop, dawdle all you want & I'll wait for you. Then we have "with" which is a dog in heel position, one on each side.
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 11:06am PST 
I have Nick on my left on a Euro leash that goes around my shoulder, and Paris on a regular leash held with my right hand. I coupled them with the Euro lead a few times, but they yank each other around when 1 stops to try and go to the bathroom so I don't really like walking them that way.

ETA- Paris is a zig-zagger so I make sure she has a longer leash so she is out in front of Nick. It helps prevent tangling.

Edited by author Wed Jan 9, '13 11:10am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2