GO!

Small children and dogs unsupervised. Rant.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 4:09pm PST 
"So and so's dog is the most tame (breed) ever! I would leave him home to watch my daughter(eighteen months old!). She loves him and he loves her!"

Wait.. WHAT?

Someone's reply was "Fail parenting."

She replied then, with, "It's an example of how much I trust the dog. I know better than to leave the baby at home with the dog... They would eat everything"

Grah.

So.. of course, being pregnant and having raised both children, AND fostered dogs, I felt the need to speak up. "I have to say I wouldn't leave my child alone unsupervised with ANY dog, no matter how tame, no matter how much they love children. There is ALWAYS potential for SOMETHING to go wrong on either end, or for accidents to happen and then you have bylaw on your ass carting your dog away. I wouldn't want to risk my DOGS life, let alone risk my child that way. Just my two cents. And I have dogs who LOVE babies. Too many parents HAVE done JUST that. They're the ones in the news regularly. ;D"

So she says, "When they grow up together, I see it differently."

And my reply, "I'll agree to disagree then. I don't think animals and young children should be left unsupervised, ever, in any situation. Too many things that can happen, whether accidental or not. Too much risk in my opinion. Again, I wouldn't want to risk either my child, or my dog."

Remind me to NEVER let her watch my dogs. Ever. Or my baby, either. silenced

What's your take on leaving young(I'm talking toddler/babies)children and dogs unsupervised?
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 4:41pm PST 
Never. A lot of it is because of the dog I have right now- she is assertive and rather dominant, but also has space issues and will not tolerate all the usual things children get up to- loud noises, sudden movements, petting inappropriately. And the children, and her, are too important to risk.

It's tough though, when people think that way. Sometimes you have to weigh the possibility of what might happen if things DON'T go the way you think they will. What do you stand to gain? And what do you stand to lose? IMO what you stand to lose in this scenario is far, far too risky.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 5:03pm PST 
I would never leave my children alone with dogs unsupervised. I mean, dogs would tend to see young children (those who haven't reached puberty) as their equals, as playmates. Since dogs would usually use their mouths for play, there's a huge chance that your dog might accidentally hurt your child. No matter how good a dog is with kids, a dog will always be a dog and a kid will always be a kid.
[notify]

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 5:05pm PST 
I would never leave any of my dogs alone with a young child especially Kashmir. She has never grown up with young children or been around them alot. When my cousin visited from AZ and brought her toddler, i didnt leave her out of my sight. Whenever Brooklyn tried to come near me Kashmir would try and put herself in between us. I would tell her to go to her bed and stay there and when i used the bathroom Kashmir went with me or outside. She never tried to hurt Brooklyn but i didnt like her possessive behavior
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 5:08pm PST 
I agree with all of you. But will add, "some people should never be allowed to have dogs or children". silenced
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 5:59pm PST 
I would seriously bet all that I have on Sanka never intentionally harming a kid. Not biting, scratching, any of that stuff. I've seen this dog in just about every situation you could imagine, and he's been rock solid in temperament.

But Sanka is a clutz. Chances are, he'll knock something over and have some Rube Goldberg effect and end up hurting the kid anyway.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 6:08pm PST 
Never unsupervised, and JT isn't allowed near very small children even with me present. On Xmas I told my nieces they could play with my dog as much as they like but they had to come and get me first, and everyone was happy with that.

This whole dogs as babysitters thing is absolutely crazy, and kids do die.

There was also a video going around of a kid allowed to bounce up and down on a rott's ribcage with the parents ENCOURAGING it so sometimes even supervision fails too ... I guess when idiots have kids, nothing's off limits ....
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 6:42pm PST 
I agree with you. My in laws have a very tame, easy tempered dog. At Christmas, he was cuddled up sleeping under a chair, stealing a minute away from the action. I was horrified when the adults present let an 18 month old crawl under the chair and start pulling on the dog. They all laughed because they thought it was cute. They didn't seem to see any risk of the dog and baby being in a tight space. I walked in the room and picked up the baby. It just takes a second for a dog to feel afraid or threatened.
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 6:50pm PST 
I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I trust Cobain more than I trust most people, but that doesn't mean I would ever leave him alone with a child.
I figured at this point, with information (and news articles) so easily found at our fingertips, that such behaviour would come to an end.

But then again, people still purchase from pet stores soooo silenced
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 6:50pm PST 
I'm with you: never unsupervised. I don't care how trustworthy you think the dog is. I really get annoyed at seeing all these pictures online of kids yanking on dogs tails or sticking their hands in their mouth. That picture could have easily gone very badly and of course the dog would be blamed.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4