GO!

VPI Pet Insurance

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 10:02am PST 
Has anyone used this company? If so, what has your experience been? All feedback, good and bad, requested!

Thank you!
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 4:51am PST 
Ok...so here's the thing about VPI...they may be a little bit cheaper, but they use a benefit schedule. This makes them different than most insurances.

They have a regular and major benefit schedule. You can find it on their website:

http://www.petinsurance.com/images/VSSimages/media/pdf/M ajor_Medical_Plan_Policy%20Pkt_NCC.pdf

You have an annual deductible of $100, $250, or $500. They use the benefit schedule which is what they deem are customary fees. I think some of the fees are comparable, but some aren't. For example, I had to have back surgery and a myloegram. It cost me around $7000 (I do have another insurance that helped over a lot of that cost).

Well, VPI says for interverbral disc disease, they cover up to $740 to treat/surgrey and $650 for a myleogram...well the myloegram cost us $1200. So if I'm reading it right, they cover around $1400 for a herniated disc and surgery (maybe a little more?). Well, my surgery cost $7000 something. relieved

Get the picture? It's looking at these costs and determining the area where you live and deciding whether you think that's a fair cost or not. I live near Washington DC so for me, that would come as a HUGE shock if I didn't do my homework.

HOpe this helps a bit. Definitely take a look at the link.

Also remember that most insurance do not cover anything pre-exisiting. I will say this about VPI. A lot of insurances don't cover hereditary stuff but VPI claims they will cover it after you have been insured for a year.

Good luck to you way to go
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 5:13am PST 
there is a space in the link....in the word major...make sure you remove any spaces before you hit enter to go to the site way to go
[notify]

Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 CL4- OAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 9:17am PST 
I've found VPI doesnt cover a lot of things, including hereditary conditions. I look into it quite a lot when trying to cover my dog. VPI isnt horrible, but there are better companies out there. here's a good comparison with a lot of the companies and what they offer:

http://www.petinsurancereview.com/dog.asp

remove any spaces dogster might add.

I have been really happy with Pet Plan. They cover ACL sx right away and even genetic issues. I was super happy to see they also covered behavioral medicine / therapy if it is recommended for the health of your dog by your vet. Pretty affordable, good coverage, and lots of options about deductables, return pay etc to vary the price.

Edited by author Thu Jan 3, '13 9:21am PST

[notify]
Pookie

plush destroyer

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 10:18pm PST 
In short, VPI sucks. I would not go with them.
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 8:17am PST 
Thanks for all the responses thus far. Let me ask another question. If you had an opportunity to get this for $25 per month through a large company as part of a benefits package, do you think it is worth it. (The dog in question is young and healthy with no known hereditary issues or pre-existing conditions.)

Thanks again!
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 9:41am PST 
Hi Tucker...I would say no...it's not worth $25 a month because of the unknowns (how much they cover for every little thing). YOu can find good coverage for a young, healthy dog for $25-$30 a month.

Someone posted a website for you....I would suggest you use those as a starting point. There are quite a few insurance companies listed there...ones that have better ratings than VPI

http://www.petinsurancereview.com/

Some insurance companies do deductibles for each incident or for each policy year. Some cover 70, 80, 90%. I don't think I would pay $25 for VPI because I know I could get insurance for a little more that covered a lot AND I know exactly what I'm responsible for.

So, no....i don't think it's worth it. I don't think they would pay less by going through their employer It's probably the about the same if they would just call VPI for a quote. In fact you could go online to VPIs website and see how much it costs. It probably doesn't make a bit of difference going through the employer. I could be wrong though, but that is my best guess way to go

Edited by author Fri Jan 4, '13 9:55am PST

[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 11:11am PST 
Thanks, Scooter!
[notify]