GO!

I need...

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kali Neal

Kali-Bug

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 7:55pm PST 
I need advice on a healthy but very fatty human diet my 1 year old female pitbull can be on for her to gain weight...

Until i can find the right dog food and the money
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '12 9:17am PST 
She doesn't look too thin. How much does she weigh?
[notify]
Kali Neal

Kali-Bug

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 8:51pm PST 
Those pictures are not recent. I'm not real sure last time she went to vet I think it was 25-35 pounds maybe
[notify]

Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 4:15am PST 
Kali had a hard time gaining weight, so I increased her protein. I add cooked hearts & kidneys to her food. It did the trick. They are fairly cheap too. Good Luck!
[notify]
Kali Neal

Kali-Bug

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 7:45pm PST 
Ew. Lol. But if it helps.... Thanks
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 8:37pm PST 
Lean is good. Has a vet looked at her and called her underweight? Can you easily see and count her ribs?

If she really does need to gain weight, look into the recipe for "satin balls" and consider feeding puppy kibble instead of regular adult formulas. Puppy kibble is higher in fat/calories without having to feed more like you would an adult food.

Try not to keep her on just people food very long, as it is not balanced.

Edited by author Mon Dec 10, '12 8:39pm PST

[notify]
Ellie CGC

Born to be Wild

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '12 9:17pm PST 
Feeding puppy kibble, or mixing puppy kibble in with an adult kibble, can help an adult dog gain weight, and that is relatively simple for you too.

If you have the time to make the satin balls they are amazing.
[notify]
Kali Neal

Kali-Bug

Barked: Sat Dec 15, '12 6:31pm PST 
What's a good website for the satin balls?!
[notify]
Alanna

Play With Me!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 2:16pm PST 
Here is a good recipe for your dog:

1-pound chicken breast
1-pound pork
1 pound chicken fat
1-cup brown rice
1-cup oatmeal
1-cup barley
1 cup white rice
1-cup soy protein
1 chicken bouillon cube

Just cook all the ingredients in water, like you would a soup. This should be very easy to digest and will help put weight on her.
[notify]
Hadley

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 2:22pm PST 
My dog is what the vet refers to as "atheletic" and most people think she's way too skinny. The problem is we're used to seeing dogs who carry too much weight.

With that, I'd try adding in coconut oil to her diet. It's a good fat and will benefit her. Why would you want to feed a dog rice and other fillers just to gain weight? That's just as unhealthy as a human gaining weight on that kind of junk. Those are fillers, and meant to fill the dog up, but provide little to no nutritional value to your pup.

Nuts are high in fats, seeds are, coconut oil, ghee, natural things that put weight on in a healthy way is good. If you add all that stuff above to your dog's diet, they're going to have massive amounts of stool because almost all those ingredients are going to come right back out. Beef heart and liver are excellent suggestions. Stay away from carbs to put weight on.... worst idea ever --- for a human and an animal!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2