GO!

Do dogs really benefit from joint supplements.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lilly CD CDX- JD JDX AD

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 1:52am PST 
Hey i was wondering if starting a joint supplement for my five year old kelpie mix would benefit her, shes very lean and fit no joint issues etc. She currently gets lots of raw food and bones eggs sardines yoghurts and two fish oil capsules daily and also a premium dry . I compete regularly in agility and shes very active so i guess i kinda want to preserve her joints smile at my local pet stock we have things like sashas blend formula and things like that. Is what im feeding good enough? Thanks
[notify]
Amanda

Did You Say- "Walk" !?!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 2:43am PST 
This is probably something you should be asking your veterinarian. You should also do research on the different types of supplements out there and their test results. There are tons of over the counter joint supplements for dogs. Amanda gets a supplement caled Only Natural Pet Ultimate Daily Canine Vitamins Plus, as an immune, skin, joint, and overrall wellness supplement.
[notify]
Kristen

Rub My Belly!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 2:58am PST 
The best thing you can do for your dog's joints is to make sure she is at a proper, lean weight. Most older dogs benefit from joint supplements, but your girl is still young. If you want to start supplementing her, start with glucosamine. Unless she has arthritis, you don't need to use chondroitin sulfate, so glucosamine alone would probably be enough. MSM is also a good supplement for arthritis, but it sounds like your girl doesn't really need anything!
[notify]

Bridget

Just Going With- the Flow

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 4:20am PST 
You should pick a few joint supplements you like and compare them. Look at the ingredients of each. Read up on each ingredient and find out how it will affect your dog in the long term. Make sure to note any side effects of each ingredient. Once you narrow down your list of supplements, go ahead and choose the cheaper option!
[notify]
Star

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 10:16am PST 
I had my old dog on the greenies for joint care the last two years of his life. I thought it did wonders for him, and he was able to get up and move around a lot better then before. I truely think they helped so I would say yes they do help.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 11:45am PST 
Joint supplements helped Sassy and are helping Max.

Sassy could jump on the 18" high window seat when she was 16 years old if she had been on it for a couple weeks and back when she running agility was several seconds faster and nearly earned her Performance III Jumpers and PIII Snooker titles after starting the stuff.

Max is noticeably happier now he gets joint supplements. I put him on the stuff when he was 5-6 years old but didn't notice any difference so took him off until about a year ago, he is 12.5 years old right now. On raw I thought he would get enough of the active ingredients but the supplement is making a difference.

I just get NatureMade Triple Flex from Costco. The Kirkland brand that doesn't have MSM didn't help and I ended up throwing it away. I never throw stuff away, was very impressed with the difference between the two for my dogs. Your dogs may do better on something else.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 12:26pm PST 
I think it can make a huge difference in performance dogs. Even some of the younger racers benefitted from them, especially if they were recovering from an injury. But it is in the older dogs (generally 6+ depending on health and size) where I could literally tell the difference if they went more than a couple days when their owner ran out of them. They seemed to have just a bit less range of motion or get up and go. Even in dogs who have a stellar diet, they still seem to help.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 1:34pm PST 
My boy is 6 years old and in agility. He's raw fed and a good weight but I give him fish oil and a glucosamine/chondroitin pill every day. He never really had issues before so it's more of a preventative.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 4:21pm PST 
Chance most definitely does. She has hip dysplasia and arthritis and runs around like a 1 year old. She'll be 6 next April.
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 5:57pm PST 
I'm planning to start Missy on a joint supplement in the New Year. Purely because she's getting older really. I'm sometimes sceptical of all these supplements used on healthy, fit dogs, so it will be interesting whether i notice any difference in her. Although i must add she has no current joint or mobility issues. I would guess the benefits are more noticeable in dogs that are already suffering joint problems
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2