GO!

spine and hip bone showing?!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Kali Neal

Kali-Bug

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 9:55pm PST 
I've noticed that Kali's spine and hip bones are starting to show more than they should. She eats plenty and drinks plenty. She has access to both all day everyday. Her bowel movements and everything are normal. No throwing up or anything. Could it be that she now has more freedom and her "pitbull" figure is like it should be?! She's not the slightest bit of skinny. I can feel her spine and hip bones more than I have been able to in the past. She was in a small backyard not able to run freely. Now she has acres and acres to run. Am I just being too worried?
[notify]
Jocelyn

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 10:11pm PST 
It sounds like you are not feeding her enough. I recommend taking her to the veterinarian. Do you know how to tell if a dog is too fat or too thin? You will want to look at the dog from above. Then, from the side. All dog should have a tuck up. Looking at your girl's pictures, she looks to be in good condition. But, protruding ribs means a dog is too thin. Rest your fingertips lightly on her side and see if you can feel her ribs. Do this on her back and see if you can feel her spine, too. It's more dangerous for a dog to be overweight than underweight. Has she been checked for worms? Dogs with worms will not be able to gain weight, as all the nutrients are going to feed the parasites. I recommend taking her to a veterinarian. What are you feeding her? Make sure it is a high quality dry dog food.
[notify]
Kali Neal

Kali-Bug

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 11:18pm PST 
You can NOT see her ribs. You can't see her spine neither unless shes sitting. She has access to food at all times. she eats when she wants. She's recently been to the vet. They didn't seem concerned or mentioned her spine. She was clear from everything. I think its just bc she's getting more exercise than what she was getting in September. All she had was a small backyard alone with no running room. Now she has miles of acres. And yes I know how to tell if a dog is overweight or too thin. She's fine. Its just her spine. And once again, only when she's sitting or scratching of w.e is when you can see her spine.
[notify]

Jocelyn

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 11:58pm PST 
I would still be concerned about the possibility of spondylosis deformans. It causes spurs on the spine. They are just projected bone growth. This may be why you are seeing her spine at certain times. It is most common in elderly dogs. Most dogs don't show any symptoms. Some can show signs of pain. Some dogs may be stiff or have restricted range of motion. But, not all dogs show pain. Spondylosis deformans is caused by repeated microtrauma, major trauma, or can be genetic. It may be a good idea to go back to the vet and bring up the concern of her spine showing. I'm assuming the vet already has all your dog's health records? An x-ray might be a smart idea. An x-ray will show if there are any bone spurs. There are several other tests vets can do. If you can afford it, you might opt for a myelography.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 5:16am PST 
If your dog is healthy and feels good and your vet isn't concerned, I would agree it is probably just more exercise changing the physique. If you notice continued weight loss, go back to the vet.
[notify]
Mogly

Happiness is an- Akita

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 5:55am PST 
Your dog sounds just fine. It may be because she is exercising more. As long as she isn’t getting fat, then free feeding isn’t bad. If my dogs ate like that they would all look like blimps! If the vet didn’t say anything about her being underweight, then I’m sure she is fine. I’ve only really seen or felt the spine in geriatric dogs that are loosing muscle mass. As long as she seems healthy, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I would think that with the increased exercise, that would increase her muscle mass. What are you feeding her? She may need something with more protein. That could cause loss of muscle mass with increased exercise. But, it doesn’t sound like she is underweight. Could you try switching her to a dog food with more protein? Can you actually feel her spine? Or is it just when she is in a certain position?
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 6:21am PST 
A lot of people can be alarmed by the look of a lean healthy dog. As a society we are so used to seeing obese pets that it's sadly become the norm.

When a dog does have or develop a more conditioned physique a lot of times people are simply not aware that that's what the dog is ACTUALLY supposed to look like and will instead very wrongly peg it as a dog being underfed, or having some rare spinal bone deformity confused

Your dog sounds fine. Having regular opportunities to run like that will definitely change the shape of a dog by burning fat and building leaner muscle.
[notify]
Kali Neal

Kali-Bug

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 8:18pm PST 
Thanks guys. Really appreciate everything. This is my first time owning a Pitbull.. Every pit ive ever seen has had the lean muscle body. (which she has) I've just noticed i can feel her spine more than i think i should. I, myself, think its just her being able to run free and everything. Her food is fine. And my vet is very good and i know him personally so he would not not say anything to me, ya know?...

I can feel her ribs and things that i should be able to if i push in hard. And i can barely feel her spine when shes standing on all fours or laying down sleeping. It's just when shes curled up or scratching or sitting down is when i can see it very well and feel it.

Idk, i may just being a worried mommy. Lol.

But i have been keeping an eye on her weight and making sure she isn't losing more than she should.
[notify]
Kali Neal

Kali-Bug

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 8:20pm PST 
I'm also an intern at my vets office and certified to perform fluids, ivs, etc on an animal if needed. So i know how to check bones and abnormalities. Her spine, neck, pelvis, etc all seems fine.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 8:30pm PST 
Sounds like you might be overweight if you have to "Push in hard" to feel ribs. You should be able to feel the ribs by running your hand over your dog, not pushing in hard and feeling for them. Maybe you should reconsider the free feeding.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2