GO!

Wheat free, Barley free, Potato free, Beef free dog food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 11:17am PST 
Looking for some ideas for a Wheat free, Barley free, Potato free, Beef free dog food. I've been feeding Wellness Simple Lamb, but now I'm looking for alternatives. Suggestions?
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 1:59pm PST 
I'm currently feeding Nature's Variety Instinct, Limited Ingredient Turkey. It has tapioca and peas instead of the usual potatoes, rice, and whatnot. There is another Lmt ingredient variety (lamb, I think) as well. This is not an easy food to find at dog stores, but of course you can order it online. It's kibble, but there's also a canned variety which is about the same except that it also has flaxseed.

Do you have an allergy dog?
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 4:21pm PST 
I'll bet there are a lot of foods out there that meet you're criteria. If you're okay with rice, Nutro has a lamb that only has whole brown rice and a chicken that has whole brown rice and oatmeal. There's also California Naturals that has simple formulas. They have grain free that use lentils for the carbs.
[notify]

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 4:48pm PST 
The standard, grain-inclusive Holistic Select lines also meet your criteria.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 5:34pm PST 
Nutrisca uses chickpeas as it's starch, Nature's Variety Instinct and INstinct LID use tapioca as the starch.
[notify]
Barney,- friend of- Lennox

Bad to the Bone

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 11:16pm PST 
There's also a Nutro Natural Choice Vennison and Brown rice. That's what I eat cuz I am allergic to lamb (and don't like chicken so much).
[notify]
Ginger

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 9:21am PST 
Horizon Legacy and Horizon Pulsar meet that criteria and are very good quality foods. They are both grain free and potato free, and don't contain any beef. Legacy is their top food and we really like it, but we feed Pulsar if they are out of the Legacy. They also have a small breed food called Amicus that is very good.
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 9:31am PST 
Joey, Lily is allergic to wheat and potato, she is intolerant to barley and beef.

Thank you for the suggestions everyone!! smile
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 9:37am PST 
Woops, just saw the last reply. Horizon Legacy/Pulsar or Amicus is not available where I live.
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 10:29am PST 
Lily: Just curious, how did you determine what Lily was allergic or intolerant to - testing, or food trials/experience? I am struggling to pinpoint the reason for Joey's paw licking.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2