GO!

Epitheliotropic Lymphoma

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Chester, A- Springer- Angel

Is it time to- eat??!!

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 7:42am PST 
Chester was just diagnosed with epitheliotropic lymphoma yesterday and starts prednisone today to hopefully keep it from spreading too quickly.

My question is, does anyone have any firsthand knowledge on this type of cancer? From what I gather it is not very common and unfortunately has a very poor prognosis. Right now it doesn't seem to bother him and unlike some of the pictures I have seen, his case doesn't seem as extreme. I do think it has spread though since it no longer seems to be confined to his mouth. It took a few months to get a definitive diagnosis, but it has really taken us by surprise. When he first presented with the problem, cancer was on the bottom of the list of probabilities.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 5:00pm PST 
Sorry to hear he has cancer. I don't have any advice. But my answer will bump you to the top, so that maybe someone will see you post and have some advice. Good Luck! hughughughug
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 8:23pm PST 
hug Bump to the top againhug
[notify]

Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:00pm PST 
hughughughughughughughug
[notify]
Jordan

I Swear to Make- You Laught

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:42pm PST 
I’m very sorry to hear this! Let’s make sure this stays at the top!
[notify]

Is it time to- eat??!!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 6:50am PST 
Thank you for the bumps to keep the thread current.

Yesterday Chester started the prednisone. All we can do now is pray it stays in check. I don't know he really feels but if he is in pain, he hides it well. He is still active, happy, and eating great. He lives for breakfast and dinner. If he ever turns down a meal, I'll know we have a big problem.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 7:01am PST 
I think all you can do is try and keep him comfortable and enjoy every moment you have left with him. hug
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 6:17pm PST 
I have no experience with lymphoma, but I DO know that there is a yahoo group called "Canine Cancer" that you might want to join. While I can't say if there is anyone on there with a dog with your specific type of lymphoma, it IS a fairly large group with a wide range of experiences, so it won't hurt to give them a try. Just go to yahoo, find their "groups" section, and query "canine cancer." I haven't been on there for a while, as I switched over to the "mast cell tumor" group when Joey got that form of cancer, but monitored the posts on the general cancer group for a while. Mostly it's just a support group, but you may get some ideas of what people are doing to treat their dogs or what they've been told about prognosis, etc.

Good luck. It is so sad that so many dogs die of cancer. Chester looks very handsome, by the way.

Edited by author Thu Nov 29, '12 6:19pm PST

[notify]
Wellington- 4/14/01 - 2/18/13

No I'm NOT a- Saint Bernard.

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 1:19pm PST 
Wellington has been in remission from Lymphoma for 6 years. Ask your vet about a high protein diet. (Cancer loves carbs but grows slower with protein). We add cooked chicken, cottage cheese, hard boiled egg, etc. to his kibble. He LOVES his meals and I get to "spoil" him. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this scary time!hug
[notify]

Is it time to- eat??!!

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 1:29pm PST 
Thanks again everyfur! We will definitely have to talk with our vet about trying a few new things. We did notice a new spot though frown We're just happy for now that he feels pretty good.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5