GO!

Considering adopting....

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Buddy

Unforgettable

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 8:42am PST 
I am getting a pitbull puppy real soon . But the thing is i am originaly going to go get a Gotti line pit and i knew this lady who was willing to give me a Red Nosed pit from her shelter. The reasons i want the Gotti line pit puppy is because for one i am going to start my own blood line and that dog he will be the very first dog to help start it. Two they are bigger then most pits and size and have very very good health. And three they are there to help you handle the dog if it becomes having behavioral problems you can contact them and they will help you train the puppy and fix the problem. But im thinking when i get the Gotti line pit puppy. Maybe i could also get a puppy from that women's rescue/shelter but not to involve that shelter puppy in the bloodlines i am going to build. I will keep her as a family dog and put her in a sport like agility and showing. The Gotti pit will be put in training and sports and showing etc... But i have had bad experiences with dogs i have adopted in the past 2 they were awful i tried to work with their problems and correct them and just couldnt even had a trainer working with them. So i dont know if i should even bother getting a second pit puppy for that shelter because i dont know what i will be dealing with and dont want my Gotti pit to pick up bad habbits while they are both in training. Its happend before with a dog i adopted Buddy started to pick up its habbits so instead of dealing with that one dog we had to work on fixing the both of them which was very difficult.
Opinions on how i should handle this for if i do get the shelter puppy while having the Gotti pitbull.

Edited by author Tue Nov 27, '12 8:43am PST

[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 9:10am PST 
How much do you know about breeding dogs?
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 11:57am PST 
I'm sorry but you lost me at 'red nosed'.
No such thing as a 'red nosed' pitbull. Its just a *pink* pigment, nothing else.

If you're passionate about pitbulls, you would see they're all bred by Back Yard Breeders and that they make up like 40% of shelter dogs.
Rescue / Adopt from a GOOD shelter. If the place only tells you good things about the dog / puppy then WALK AWAY. Look for the place that will tell you all of the horrible things about the puppy, because they are truly invested into the dog / breed and will be there for you.
[notify]

Buddy

Unforgettable

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 3:11pm PST 
@ Nare thats what ive always known them as and refer them to ? confused and i do know about breeding lol i wouldnt get involved with it if i didnt know anything. And i will still get the pit from gotti bloodlines and the pit from the shelter just needa see how the lady is.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 4:43pm PST 
First of all, one NEVER starts a breeding line with a male puppy... that should be obvious!
And, what in the world are you going to be doing with ALL the "extra" pups in your breeding program??? You talk about needing to rescue a dog, are you prepared to handle and find homes for the 8 or 10 pups you have in each litter while you are 'developing" your line??? Where do you think all these pits needing rescue are coming from??? How do you think you are going to be able to do this any differently than the hundreds of others breeding pits???
It takes generations and generations and years and years to develop one's own line. It also takes tons of money to provide all the veterinary testing prior to even breeding that first litter, as well as provide safe and secure housing for all these dogs.
I would think you have many more important decisions to make other than just deciding to adopt a pup as well as buy one at the same time.
[notify]
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 5:18pm PST 
Toto beat me to it! big laugh You can't start a line with a male. That makes no sense. Start with a female and you can pick and choose your stud. Start with a male? You are stuck with the people no one will allow to breed their good males. Or you can buy your own female for your own male and hope for the best, which of course even those who are well connected and breed the best to the best don't even get.

I know you won't listen to me, but I still have to say it. The Bully you are interested in? TONS of BYBs out there with poor stock....poor health, poor temperament, no drive. Does your breeder title, test for working drive, health test? Are they willing to mentor you? I basically know they are not (re. mentoring), or you wouldn't be starting with a male. I know you can make money selling the puppies, but if you can't do something to better the breed, then that's all you'll be doing....making money....and ending up with dogs with health problems, bad owners, who really suffer. All the good buyers go to the better breeders, and you are stuck, out of sheer desperation, marking down puppies and selling them to whoever. You've got to know how many people are drawn to the breed for sheer ego....lousy homes. Is that what you want? For lives you yourself have brought into the world?

You seem as if you like dogs. Is that what you want to do?
[notify]
Buddy

Unforgettable

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 6:38pm PST 
@Tiller i havent spoken to a breeder to mentor me through this i will most likely get the female first and purchase the male second. The kennel i am getting the puppy from does test their dogs ans keeps intouch with owners of their dogs offspring and will mentor you they even encourage you to go to them for training and what not. I do love dogs very much this is my favorite breed i do plan on improving the breed threw showing training sports etc... and these puppies will not go to just any one i will have aapplication people will have to fill out but i rather have the puppies go to other well known and grea quality kennels.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Tue Nov 27, '12 10:33pm PST 
Buddy..
This kind of sounds like someone who sells a 'breeding' dog to any ole joe.. Usually, with people just starting out breeding, the bitch is co-owned so the breeder can intervene at any time and play a role in the show life of the dog. A reputable kennel would not send an inexperienced person out into the ring to give their kennel a bad name. Theres a lot more than mentoring or getting help / advice. A reputable breeder is family, they're not going to give you the puppy unless certain conditions are met.. You'll probably be talking to them every week and it would be desirable to have them live close to you.. I know a lot of kennels that won't let someone take a breeding bitch unless they live within 100 miles! Internet service just isn't enough-- you need those long life changing talks. And they need to be with the breeder you're getting your dog from!

Trust me, I have ambitions of also having a hobby kennel. It probably won't be reality for another 10 years, but thats ok. It gives me time to get known in the competition world and involved in clubs. It gives me time to experiment and learn.. I'm hoping to contact some breeders around me and asking if they'd allow me to help or watch the whelping process, handle their dogs, follow them to competitions and shows..

Yeah, starting right now would be cool.. But it isn't my time yet, I got my first real dog 2 years ago, although I have been raised with dogs I never played a large role in them as I do with Nare.

I'm glad you have good intentions.. But you might want to research further, give it some time..
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 5:40am PST 
IMHO- you're going about things in the bass-akwards way.

First, you do a ton of research on your breed and MAKE SURE they're the right fit for you. Then, you go to shows and meet breeders that you like who are into the same things that you want to be in.

If you WANT to show and do performance, it's best to find a mentor who does these things. You can't just take some dog from a street breeder and expect to be successful when you show and do performance; especially if you want to show in conformation which is what I've taken that you mean.

Do you know what a good shoulder is? How about a good front assembly? Do you know what rear angulation is? What about the second thigh? Do you know how the breed is supposed to move and what constitutes good movement?

What about the head piece? Do you know what the ear set is supposed to be? Are they eyes supposed to be almond shaped or round?

Do you even know what the major disqualifications are to KNOW whether you can even show your dog?

And once you step into a show ring, THAT'S a whole different ball game. How well do you handle your dog? How do you best show off your dog's attributes to a judge?

And that's ONLY conformation. If you do agility, you have to make sure your dog has the right amount of drive, or else you'll spend thousands on classes but never get to compete.

So, if you want to get a dog on which you can spend tons of money (and that's what it will be, showing and going to classes is incredibly expensive) then you want to start off with a dog that's going to be worth all of that time, effort, and $$$.

Plus, you don't want to start off a breeding program with a mediocher bitch. Otherwise, you'll always be "breeding up" and you'll never get to where you want to be.

If you want to start off on the wrong foot, then no one can stop you. But, I'm telling you right now that you'll never have the breeding program you want if you continue on this path.
[notify]
Buddy

Unforgettable

Barked: Wed Nov 28, '12 6:31am PST 
@ Nare and person who responded below Nare you both seem knowledgeable and more experienced i would appreciate it if you both would inbox me to help me succeed with this i would really appreciate it and to also help me with what steps i need to do.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2