GO!

Have you ever wondered about your dog's potential with someone else?

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 6:43pm PST 
Let me make it clear from the beginning, I am *not* talking about re homing my dogwink It's just that I sometimes wonder if Bunny could have done some wonderful things with someone else. He might have had the potential to be a wonderful hunting dog or a rally or agility champion but he is stuck with me. I am inconsistent , impatient, don't hunt or have access to even basic rally or agility. Am I the only one who ever wonders if their dog would have reached their full potential with a different owner?
[notify]
Charlie Pete

G-day mate! - Wanna Play?

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 7:22pm PST 
I wonder that a lot. I adore my Charlie_Pete. And I think he has a good life. He lives inside/outside as he chooses. Has a dog buddy that he mostly gets on well with. Goes to his favourite kennel once a week for a play day. Eats only the best raw diet. Has a daily oee hour walk with a dog walker. And most importantly, get lots of cuddles and boundaries from his mum.

But I think he might have been best as a "blokes dog". A dog that goes to work every day with a plumber or electrician, sits in the front of the truck and has his boy that he bonds with.I think he might have felt more confident, and therefore less likely to be reactive if he had that type of influence instead of mine. I've done the best I can, and Charlie-boy has so well loved and has a good life, but I can't help but wonder.
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 7:27pm PST 
Good to see you CP wave I was wondering about you just the other daysmile

I'm glad to see someone else has pondered thissmile
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 7:31pm PST 
Charlie Pete is adorable!

I agree, I also reckon JT might have liked to be a tradies dog too. He is obsessed with utes because his last owner put him in the back to go to the paddocks (he was a sheep dog.)

I think he would be happier still if he still had some sheepies to play with. But he has a pretty good thing going on here with a nice yard, raw diet, indoor sleeping area and walks, so life isn't all black. wink
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 7:55pm PST 
You guys make me feel bad, when I try to imagine Nare in another home I imagine him being all over the place.. and getting rehomed a lot. But I just don't trust very many people i guess. silenced with me i know he will have a home for life, be fed the best diet possible and that i will do anything in my power to try and satisfy him.. not just a measly walk around the block, but i can dish what he needs. i'll never stop researching and finding ways to better care for him.. i'm not sure if other people are as dedicated as I like to think I am, lol. unfortunately all of the dogs i know aren't even walked.. at best, dumped at the dog park for an hour. fed purina / iams.. WHICH doesn't mean they don't love their dogs. just.. i dunno lol.
[notify]
Cain

Q.E.D., baby,- Q.E.D.!

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 8:01pm PST 
Cain could have easily worked the streets as a police K9 or military working dog - and on rare occasion I'm sorry that he didn't get to help by doing that. It would have suited him to a "T", no doubt, but I guess he's just had to "suffer" through life as my PPD/jogging partner, poor guy....wink
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 8:08pm PST 
I agree with everyone who posted. laugh out loud

I'm sure Lobo might have had an awesome life as a sled dog (hehe) or maybe even a hunter. He could have also been on a farm with horses and other dogs and lived a life outside where he's happiest.

But at the same time, I don't really trust others to be good enough for Lobo. I don't let any of my friends or family walk him. Not even my partner of almost three years is allowed to walk him! laugh out loud I've tried to let my brother play with Lobo and the clicker and help train him, but I'm wayyyyy too controlling with it, haha.

I don't know. Lobo is MY dog. Thinking of him with someone else... Kinda hurts. I've had people "jokingly" tell me they were going to steal him, and I get paranoid. I've actually threatened someone who said that. x:
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 9:14pm PST 
Absolutely he could be a better dog with someone else. He could definitely have more advanced training, be a working dog, or live in a home with an owner that could be with him 24/7 on a huge plot of land where he could be active all day long.

But it makes me feel a little better to tell myself that he would be a worse dog with the majority of people than he is with me. I do think he could be a behavioral mess in a home where he didn't get enough physical and mental exercise and structure.
[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 9:32pm PST 
Well, when I saw my agility instructor take Gus around a course 2 weeks ago, they were pretty awesome together so I don't have to wonder . . .laugh out loud

Which made her point about calling the next obstacle earlier--I'm always a touch behind, but also the point that so much of training is not on the dog--the skills we want come naturally to the dog-- but on learning how to get where "we" humans need to be--- to communicate what we want when.

Humans are woefully slow learners compared to animals in many ways . . .

However, none of that bothers me a lick---sure the best so and so trainer at this or that could have her herding sheep or starring in Hollywood movies---but she's stuck with my learning curve and being my first dog as an adult.

I take solace in the fact that my human ideas of accomplishment mean nothing to her---however we play the game, we're playing it together--that's all she cares about.cloud 9
[notify]
Charlie Pete

G-day mate! - Wanna Play?

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 9:42pm PST 
Hey back to you Bunny wave

Been a rough few years here so I've been out of touch wiht Dogster for a good while. Just thought I'd pop in and catch up.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5