GO!

Service Dog handler removed from Farmers Market

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dora CGC

Wag your tail- and the world- wags back

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 9:35am PST 
I know some of you have seen this as I saw you post on the Utube. I think it will be interesting to see what comes of this. I always have Dora walk and she alerts to me fine from there however on a couple occasions I have her ride on my walker it in a really crowded place. I wonder what is the law on having the dog off the ground? Not just the opinions posted on the video site but the real law. Does anyone know? I think what upset me most was the rudness and bullying of the two employees.
video
[notify]
Mordecai

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 9:50am PST 
The youtube video posts an update:

"Update 11-13- The Grants Pass City Attorney had notified the market management that they must comply with ADA laws and said he found no where were it stipulates that a service dog must be on the ground. Hooray!"
[notify]
Dora CGC

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 10:23am PST 
I guess this lady has a reputation
http://voices.yahoo.com/rudely-running-our-private-publi c-market-8425279.html
this is from may.
[notify]

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 10:33am PST 
Having run into several supposed service dogs who never walked, I have to wonder about this one as well. And one of the previously mentioned handlers used the excuse that "no small alert dog can do their job from the ground." I had a good laugh before pointing out that Scooter, who was several inches shorter than her dog, could do his job just fine with all four paws on the ground.

If Scooter needs a better sniff, he's trained to signal me to pick him up. There is absolutely no reason why other small/tiny SDs can't be taught the same thing. It's stuff like this that reinforces the general public's negative views about small breed SDs.
[notify]
Dora CGC

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 11:13am PST 
Scooter I understand where you are coming from as that is how Dora alerts as well and she is like 10 inches tall and 10lbs. However I do not think she or anyone deserves to be treated like she was. The two employees are scary and should be dealt with.
I do not think it was the place of the lady to decide if the handler was disabled or not nor to mock her. My thing is did the manager really have the legal right to have then removed from the market?
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 12:54pm PST 
I suspect had the dog been walking in the first place, none of this would have happened. Depending on the state laws, yes, a place can ask you to leave if they don't like your attitude; as long as they make it clear that it isn't about the dog. It also appears from the comments, that this same team has had this issue more than once and that this time they brought soemone with a camera to capture the access issue. That most likely contributed to them calling the police to have her kicked out. I suspect the beration is a result of all the previous encounters. You also have to wonder just how many fakers that market has to deal with on a weekly basis.

From the comments (both on the you tube vid and the news story), I'm seeing that most don't realize this is pretty much like the people who put their dogs in grocery carts; most don't realize the store can tell them to get the dog out of the cart. Then there is the issue of the dog being at or above food level.

It all goes back to what we keep saying... if you want your small SD to be taken seriously, it needs to act like its larger counterparts. Personally, I didn't see that marketplace to be soo busy as to be dangerous.
[notify]
Dora CGC

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 2:46pm PST 
I guess only the people envolved will know all the facts. I still feel that the Market people were way out of line. How horrible to be mocked like that in public.

I am not sure if she put the dog down that would have been the end of it. Another handler I believe is on here said they have had trouble there, in fact they had someone grab his wifes dogs harness.

So I think there is more to this then we see. It sounds like she has an issue with dogs at the market no matter what. It says in a article that they banned pets just a month ago and Marti the Manager was the main reason.

I wont judge the lady with the dog on the video as I all I saw was a quiet dog and lady. However the other two were so rude and mean.

I do agree that the dog in a bag is going to not be taken as seriously as one on the ground.
[notify]
Peekaboo

You can't see- me!

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 3:49pm PST 
I have a small dog who works at home as a medical alert dog, kind of to give my main SD a break while at home. Obviously my main SD is the one who comes out with me on a regular basis, but I have on occasion taken my small one out -- albeit, this has been almost exclusively to visit other people as its behavior is not quite up to par with being in public. My little one is a beautiful alerter and does so quite well from the floor; however, I most often do not notice its alert, no matter how it escalates (unless we're talking about unseemly yapping, and no one wants that). This is part of my disorder. I phase it out. So, I keep my little one higher up, where I am more likely to notice it, which can be in my arms, in my lap, or even in a purse.

I know that, assuming the woman's dog is a legitimate service dog, it should have been able to perform its function from the ground, but like my own situation, there might be some reason she needs to keep the dog closer. Beyond that, in a busy situation, she might be concerned for the dog's safety. Regardless of the reason, it is her prerogative to carry her service dog in a purse, provided it can still perform its function. At least that's my humble opinion.

For who said that it's a problem because her dog's head is level with produce, I honestly find that a bit silly. My late SD's head was level with the produce. We could hardly be told to leave because of that, and what else was it supposed to do, crouch? Then it could hardly do its job.

In any case, I don't think the lady deserved to be treated so rudely.
[notify]
Mordecai

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 6:59pm PST 
Scooter, that's what I thought initially, that the dog had been on the ground it wouldn't have been a problem, but I've heard several other stores similar to this one, of people with service animals being harassed at this farmer's market. One had a guide dog retriever and the staff member actually grabbed the dog's harness to get them to stop.
[notify]
Mordecai

Barked: Mon Nov 19, '12 6:59pm PST 
Scooter, that's what I thought initially, that the dog had been on the ground it wouldn't have been a problem, but I've heard several other stores similar to this one, of people with service animals being harassed at this farmer's market. One had a guide dog retriever and the staff member actually grabbed the dog's harness to get them to stop.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2