GO!

New puppy tips and tricks.. ? -- Puppy 101

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions-big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mika

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 9:30am PST 
I am preparing to get a German Shepherd puppy in a few weeks (probably just before Christmas). They are only 1 week old right now and we are supposed to get them at 6 weeks. This is my first time owning a dog as an adult and I really want to make sure I train correctly and all that. I was wondering if anybody could give some advice, tips, or tricks that would help. We need to potty train and we will need to get her spayed, but I wasn't totally sure on the appropriate age for that.

Anyways, any advice would be helpful..
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 11:36am PST 
1. Beg for the owner to keep them until they're 8 weeks.
I got my pup at 6 weeks old, and those 2 weeks are sooo crucial and no matter what you do you'll never be able to get them back.
Puppies get shots at 8, 12, and 16 weeks..
Also look up 'clicker training'.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 12:38pm PST 
I'm with Nare... have the breeder keep the puppy until it is at least 8 weeks old. Not only is it state law in many states, those two weeks are when the puppy learns the most important lessons from Mom and littermates, specifically those about biting and getting bitten back and learning to share.
Another critical difference between six and 8/9 weeks is the development of bladder and bowel control. At six weeks that puppy has almost NO bladder control and will need to urinate three or four times EACH HOUR!!! Not too easy to housebreak with that schedule. By 8 or 9 weeks control enables him to hold it for much longer.
[notify]

Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 2:03pm PST 
Hey guys, I told her to come over here and join Dogster to get some good advice. I pretty much said the same thing about the six versus eight weeks. If I recall correctly, it was an accidental litter with pups going free to good homes, and she knows the lady, so she's taking a pup.

Anndd.. Welcome to the forums darlin'! Toto and Nare both know what they're talking about.

Crate training, as we already talked about, helps GREATLY with all training, particularly with house training when they have developed their bladder a bit better.

Clicker training is a fantastic suggestion - it's really easy to do and captures the behaviors you want far more effectively than a voice.

I'd also like to add the tip of "make a schedule". When you get up in the morning, the puppy goes out immediately, if the puppy doesn't empty herself, then back to the crate for a few minutes, before you return her to outside. Take her out every half hour to hour, on the dot, and after meals/drinking too, to help her learn that going outside is far more acceptable than inside. Don't forget the value of rewards when she goes to the bathroom outside too! Praise, play, or treats can make great rewards for little pupsters!

Also, look into a high quality, grain-free dog food and check out the Food and Nutrition forum if you need help picking. smile
[notify]
Tiaki CGC- SD

I am a Pringles- pilfering pup!!

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 2:53pm PST 
Totally agree with Nare, Toto & Charlie. The longer the puppies stay with their litter, the better manners they tend to have. I got Tia at 9 weeks (they kept her an extra three weeks for me) & was sooooooo happy I waited!!

As for spaying, you're going to get a ton of different opinions. With large breeds, it's usually best to wait until their growth plates are comletely closed, usually between 18 months to two years. Of course you'll have to watch for signs of heat & be very watchful to make sure she doesn't get bred accidently.

Look up Kikopup on YouTube. She has great videos!!
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 4:59pm PST 
Ooo. OP you're so lucky to have someone like Charlie lol!

When you get your pup I recommend desensitizing them to a brush / nail clippers right away. As in.. Just start letting them sniff them.. If you decide to pick up clicker training, it will make the process go so much faster and easier.
Just put the brush down, if the dog walks towards or sniffs the brush, click and treat her to high heaven! Do this for a few days, then repeat while its in your hand, then slowly run it along her back and click/treat. A lot of the GSDs I know aren't very fond of grooming, so its best to create a positive feeling towards it.. With Nare I'd give him a bully stick or pigs ear while I groomed him. I'd groom him for a minute or two at a time and then take the chew when I was done, but was sure to trade him lots of play time and action for the chew.

Handling should also be practiced. Give your pup a treat for letting you pick up their paws, feeling around their neck/collar, checking her eyes/ears.

And the NUMBER ONE thing....
..is to have fun. party
[notify]
Mika

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 9:14am PST 
Thanks so much for your help =)

I am having my husband speak with her hopefully today about keeping the puppies longer and to inform her of the health reasons. I know that he told me before that she didn't really know how long to keep them and someone told her 6 weeks and then she came back the other day and said they might be ready to go at 4 weeks because they are doing so well. So, I told him everything I found out.. hopefully she will keep them longer.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 10:38am PST 
Mika.. No matter what pups will never be able to go before 8 weeks.
I know in Nare's case.. He was big, hyper, and demanding. They start getting into the playful rowdy stage at 6 weeks old so a lot of people want to get rid of them before then.. Plus they look cuter and probably sell faster.. It also means less money for food and such. Feeding anywhere from 4 to 12 puppies for 2 weeks is easily 2 or 3 more bags of food! They're also learning to scale walls and rip everything up lol..
Not that this is her intent, but that is usually the case.
People are also voodoo that if you get a dog at 8 weeks it won't bond to you, which is pooh pooh because theres 10 year old dogs in shelters that will cling to you faster than you can snap your fingers..
Pups shouldn't really be weaned before 5 or 6 weeks, people kind of rush that process.. The mothers milk gives them immunity to sicknesses and diseases, which is why there is 3 booster shots-- cause at 8 weeks they might still have the mother's immunity so it didn't work. Theres no definite time to when it wears off and it is different for each pup.

It will save you a lot of frustration in the long run. At 6 weeks old you can't really do anything.. cause they don't have their shots (can't go outside or new places), they're still babies so training is meh, they're exploring everything with their teeth, etc. Momma can do a lot more with them in that 2 weeks than even the best of trainers could.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 12:56pm PST 
Oh dear a puppy should NEVER EVER be separated from mother and litter at four weeks. Six weeks is even way too young. If at all possible get her to hold the pup with it's mother until 8wks at least. Would be better to remain with the litter too until that time, but if others are taking pups at 6wks that may not be possible.

I know it's been posted above me, but it really bears repeating, it has life-long effects on your dog to be separated too early. No amount of proper socialization and training makes up for that deficit.

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your future pup!
[notify]
Mika

Barked: Sat Nov 17, '12 1:07pm PST 
Okay, so.. my husband spoke to her and explained all of the health concerns with separating mom from puppy too early and she said a lot of people have told her different things and one even told her 4 weeks!! I couldn't believe someone actually suggested that.. its waaay young, but once he explained why she should wait she said how it made sense and if we wanted her to she will keep ours for longer. Which I mean, I am thankful for, but I wish she would do the same for all of them.

Also, since Thanksgiving is coming up.. we won't be able to visit them until the weekend after and they should be almost 3 weeks old at that point and I would like to visit again at some point.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2