The Cowardly- Lion - I'll find my- courage
|Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 12:34pm PST |
|Well, everyone's help appreciated, to be honest
I am just nuts in love with Leia, who is the first dog I've ever personally owned, but I've been wondering about the future. I love mutts, and I love rescue, but I would really love to get a purebred puppy at some point, once hubby and I have settled down in one place. I have some idea of the breeds that appeal to me, but reconciling our tastes is proving difficult, haha. I was hoping that some breed-experienced people here would be willing to help me expand my horizons, look at our options, and maybe point us in the right direction.
Neither my husband or I are huge athletes, but I am willing to change my schedule to give a dog the exercise it needs, up to three hours or so daily (1 hour in the morning, 2 at night). The dog will likely be an only dog, but we may get him/her while Leia is still with us if it feels right. We will likely have children, maybe small children, at this point. We tend to keep a quiet, peaceful house. I'm not huge into training at this point, mostly because Leia's not as jazzed by it as I had hoped, but I am willing to expand my horizons to fit the dog! So that's the environment the dog will enter into, in a nutshell.
Now, for some basic personality traits.
- Stable. I'm talking rock solid, bomb-proof, can take whatever is thrown at him and shake it off. I realize that most of this is in the socialization and training, but it can also be a breed trait. I don't mind if this is more of a quiet stable or a goofy stable, but I do not want tendencies towards timidity or aggression (Aggression especially really spooks me, and I don't deal with it well emotionally).
- Fairly social, with dogs and people. I love watching dogs play with each other! I don't mind a little aloofness, but active dislike or aggression towards other dogs or strangers is a real turn off to me.
- Playful, especially ball drive! Hubby loves playing fetch with Leia. It's funny, she gets tired of it before he does! It would also be nice to be able to use toys as a training reward, rather than just treats.
- Outdoorsy. Both hubby and I love hiking, and my job (wildlife research tech) allows me to bring my dog, if he can handle long hours of walking over rough terrain and in iffy weather (Leia can't, sadly ).
- A sense of humor. I love a dog that can make me laugh, either through cute antics or sheer weirdness. Leia really takes the cake on this one
- Easy to train/good natural manners. Either one is fine with me. By good natural manners, I mean this - Leia came into our home with natural manners. She isn't a jumper or counter surfer, she's fairly clean, not pushy, not a puller. I have no idea if she was trained to this or not, but I love how much of a lady she is! I don't mind having to train to get there, but considering my skills are not that impressive, an easily trained dog might be good.
- Low indoor energy. I don't mind a dog that explodes outside, but indoors is a place for peace and quiet, in my mind. I love a dog that can settle (given enough exercise, of course).
- Cuddly! I love how tactile Leia is, it's extremely endearing. She always wants to be touching me, or me to be touching her. It can get annoying when I have to take care of homework or something, haha, but overall I love it.
As for looks, they aren't as important, though I do find myself drawn to big, black, and fluffy. Size isn't really an issue, so long as the dog is healthy and sturdy. I don't mind brushing or shedding (Leia sheds enough for two), and I am willing to do regular groomer's visits if need be. A healthy, long-lived breed is always a plus! Here are some of the breeds that really tickle my fancy, for one reason or another: Golden Retriever, Standard Poodle, Labrador Retriever, Newfoundland, English Setter, Am Cocker, GSD, and various sighthounds (for looks and energy, not so much personality).
So, now that the essay is finished, does anyone have any ideas that jump out at them? Any reasons why the breeds I listed might not fit? Thank you so much for your input!
|my posts | my page | msg me | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|