GO!

Metamucil, please read!!!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Charlie

Mini Hound

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 12:18pm PST 
I emailed P&G regarding giving Metamucil to my dog with anal gland issues. I just got an email back from them, here is what P&G had to say asking me using it for a dog:

"Thanks for contacting Metamucil, Sonja.

We don't recommend using our products on pets. Instead, use a product specifically designed for animals. Check with your veterinarian for advice.

I hope this helps.

MaryAnn
Metamucil Team"
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 12:28pm PST 
Always good to check with a vet before giving something like that.

One of Chance's old vets gave us the dosage and type of Metamucil to use if pumpkin didn't help with stool problems when she was still eating kibble.
We never used it though.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '12 12:33pm PST 
Charlie, they HAVE to say that because they have not done testing with dogs to determine the dose, precautions, safety, etc. That is a typical response for ANY human product which is also used for pets. It's called cover your behind!!!, Actually, it is also probably their only LEGAL option to that type of question as well.
Sorry, but I will still use it, as well as glucosamine for humans, as well as benedryl, and all the other human products I use on my dogs, at my veterinarian's suggestion OR with his approval, as well as use some of my dogs products on myself with my own physician's approval/recommandation.
[notify]

Charlie

Mini Hound

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 7:43pm PST 
I just wanted to share what P&G told me. I still look for a solution for my own dog. What ever i try, we can't get rid of his anal gland issues, i was reading about Metamucil and thought about it but had to email P&G first, i wanna be on the safe side as well. I tried it all, canned pumpkin, canned green beans. Switching food. Nothing works. It's just depressing. Since over a year i really try my all to make it better, but i can't confused and the vet does not have any other solution so far than surgery, and i will NOT do this.
[notify]
Laverne- Marie

Therapy Dog- Superstar!!

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 9:40am PST 
Actually, it was my holistic vet that prescribed Metamucil. I have used it some, and it helped some. I have one Cavalier, Laverne, that has anal gland problems. The rest seem okay. I have heard that it can be an allergy thing. I did order a product that's fairly new, called Glandex. I've been using it and it seems fine. The dogs are on Fromm grain free (the Beef Frittat seems to work fine) and I also top with canned foods, like Fromm, Weruva, Wellness Stews and Simply Nourish. She's doing better now. Oh, and I've heard that pumpkin can help and also prunes....google natural treatment for anal gland issues.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 11:46am PST 
Charlie, there is no reason not to give Metamucil a try.

Off-label use is common in both animal and human medicine.

As Toto said, companies have to give warnings for legal reasons, not necessarily because a product is dangerous to use in another species. Which is one of the reasons to ask a vet instead of someone from the manufacturer.

Your vet should be able to give you the dosage to try for Charlie.
We didn't use it with Chance because pumpkin worked and then we switched foods and she didn't need it.
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 12:40pm PST 
I'd also be weary because certain fibre products for humans are artificially sweetened, so I'd be concerned about xylitol, etc.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 12:53pm PST 
Chance's vet reco'd unflavored - no xylitol in that.
[notify]
Ikan

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 3:44pm PST 
I have tryed to stay away from giving my dog any medicine for humans. I would double check on any vet telling to give it to the dog
[notify]