GO!

Social Issues?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Bruno

Where's the- cookie?

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 12:01pm PST 
Hey, "Sister" here filling in for Bruno, who is embarrassed to talk about his issues.

We adopted Bruno 2 years ago, and noticed about 6 months after adoption that he just didn't seem to like any strangers. We did introduce him to many people when we adopted him, and he seemed perfectly fine, but he's developed a problem now. When we walk by people in the neighborhood, he'll often lunge at them to the full extent of the leash and bark, occasionally growl. This is an issue I've been trying to resolve by socializing him more, but he's not willing to partake in any social encounters with people.

When we have people visiting, he won't cease barking until I have no choice but to keep him out of sight { if he doesn't see them, he won't bark } or until he becomes exhausted.

Bruno loves other dogs and has no problems with them.

When people come over to pet him, he'll try to run away as far as the leash allows, tail tucked between his legs. Because he's a rescue dog, our family isn't sure if he was abused or not properly socialized as a pup, and all the guides online are for socializing puppies. There isn't much on rescue dogs.

I was wondering if any of you had any advice on this matter?

Thanks in advance!
[notify]
Lily

Woof!

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 3:29pm PST 
Have you read the books called "Scaredy Dog" and "The Cautious Canine"? Those books may be very helpful to you.

Edited by author Sat Nov 3, '12 3:37pm PST

[notify]
Bruno

Where's the- cookie?

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 7:59pm PST 
Thanks! I'll try to find them.
[notify]

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 11:00pm PST 
I would tell people that he is afraid of people or in training and to please not pet/approach, and ask them if they would be willing to toss a treat to him instead of pet him.
[notify]