GO!

Joint Supplements

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Winston

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 7:37am PST 
At what age should you start a dog on joint supplements? Winston is a 5 year old "terrier mix". Really we have no idea what kind of dog he is. I've noticed that as he is getting older he is waddling a little with his back legs. It looks like he doesn't move quite as good as he once did. He is a tad over weight, but we are working on that. Should I start him on some joint supplements? I don't want it to get worse as he gets older.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 1:23pm PST 
Definitely try a supplement. I know they help my dogs. Sassy sped up in agility and could make time and was much happier. She could jump on the 18" high window seat even when she was 16 years old when she had been on the stuff for a week or so. Max is perkier on them too.
[notify]
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 3:07pm PST 
My favorite is glycoflex seems to have the best response in dogs. Never a bad idea to start him on something. It can prevent the joints from further damage for some dogs. Only problem I had with glycoflex is one of my dogs has to be allergic to shellfish I have tried twice and within 2 weeks he is itchy after getting it daily
[notify]

Star

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 3:58pm PST 
When my old dog was having trouble getting up and moving. I tryed the greenies for joint care, and they really seemed to work for him. You can get them at mist pet stores and my guy really liked them also as a treat
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 7:25pm PST 
We actually started our dogs on fish oil vitamin D and glucosamine as puppies to prevent joint issues and even our older one (Mika) at almost 6 still has the agility she did when she was young. She has had absolutely no joint issues at all,Neither has Kai but he just turned 3 so I wouldn't really expect them yet. I don't think it is ever too early or late to start caring for their joints and their general health. Hope using a joint suppliment helps your pup.wishes
[notify]