GO!

Eye Boogers on Fromm

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Buddy

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 11:34pm PST 
I started looking for a new food after Orijen's company was sold, and then TOTW had recalls. We settled on Fromm Four Star Game Bird Recipe. Maya is a very sensitive dog. One flea bite can leave her itching for weeks. She does not respond well to foods with chicken. She also did not do very well on foods with fish in them.

The dogs have been on the Fromm for about 3 weeks. Their poops are good overall, although they have had a few soft ones. However, they have both had awful eye boogers since starting the Fromm. Maya has been very itchy, but we stayed at a friend's house who had fleas so it's hard to tell if that's where her itching is coming from rather than the food being the issue. Are the eye boogers a sign we should try something new? They are the most extreme eye boogers either dog has ever had.

I'm a little at my wits end trying to find a food that works. It seems like I find a good one and then something happens with the company. Thanks for any suggestions!
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sat Oct 27, '12 6:23pm PST 
I could be wrong, but I don't think Champion Petfoods was sold. They acquired a corporate investor, Bedford Capital, but the company is still family operated. It's not the same situation as Diamond gobbling up all the competition.

I would email them if you are concerned that Champion has new ownership or formulations.

In my experience, eye goop always means an allergy. Duke is allergic to chicken, lamb and grains. Once they were all removed and he was put on a raw diet, he stopped getting eye boogers.
[notify]
Riley

Mommys spoiled- little boy!

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 7:47pm PST 
Our pack had horrible eye boogers from Fromm, so bad that all three of my white dogs got the worst tear stains they have ever got so off of Fromm we went. We are back on Dr. Tim's pursuit dog food and we have clean eyes and no boogers. I heard from someone that if you get eye boogers real bad that its an allergy. Hope this helps and good luck.
[notify]

♥ Princess ♥

One-eyed Wonder- Dog

Barked: Tue Oct 30, '12 2:00pm PST 
My dog has many allergies to foods and I have noticed over the years that certain foods and treats causes her to have weepy eyes and tear stains and simply stopping that food causes them to go away. I keep track of what she eats and when tears/stains occur and try to introduce things only one at a time so I can easily detect culprits. I am convinced that all her tear stains are from a certain line of food....I don't know if its an allergy or something this company adds (colour maybe) that causes it but I know to stay away from all their products now. Of course, all dogs are different so what causes my dog problems may not affect your dog and vice-versa. Good luck.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Fri Nov 2, '12 9:04am PST 
Orijen's company (Champion Pet Foods) was never sold. I'm not sure where you got that information, but it is incorrect.
[notify]