GO!

This was on the TV in the UK, enjoy it.

This is a place to gain some understanding of dog behavior and to assist people in training their dogs and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. This can cover the spectrum from non-aversive to traditional methods of dog training. There are many ways to train a dog. Please avoid aggressive responses, and counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice. Please refrain from submitting posts that promote off-topic discussions. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other dog owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Cyril

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 7:55am PST 
CM was on the Alan Titchmarsh show, Alan really put him on the spot, enjoy it.laugh out loud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97lwtUkXjwQ
[notify]
Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 8:33am PST 
I nearly posted this myself the other day, but thought better of it! shock laugh out loud Don't think he's ever been challenged like that before, he was really uncomfortable.
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 9:18am PST 
Me too, Tyler. shh wink

Hopefully this thread will not be quashed and true discussion can take place.
[notify]

Cyril

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 10:24am PST 
Why should it be squashed? It is a link for members to see and make their own minds up. Of course if others start to attack that is different but if everyone played nicely the thread shouldn't be squashed.
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 12:33pm PST 
I don't know if I would say he was uncomfortable, or squirming. I will say he replied with some of same answers he has given for years. The things he was asked were the things I do NOT like or endorse about Cesar. I don't use the *claw, or *foot tap, and never would in training.
But I do think that Cesar has done a lot to get people walking their dogs more. As Titmarsh pointed out..people do emulate Cesar and do "try this at home" despite the disclaimer to always hire a professional. If all they took away from his show was "wow..i need to walk my dog more than 10 minutes? Okay, I'll try it!" that would be great.
[notify]
Cyril

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 1:30pm PST 
He isn't the only trainer in the USA to promotes exercising their dogs, Victoria Stillwell does as well as others. Just because he promotes exercising dogs doesn't give him the right to abuse dogs which some of his methods are.

I don't think that CM looks uncomfortable because but he did give the impression that they were set replies that he is used to saying, in fact a lot of it showed just how little knowledge he has about dogs.

Alan brought up the punch to the neck, that can kill a dogs, get it wrong and the dog's trachea can be seriously damaged, this is the story of one of my dogs that I adopted http://tracheotomy-in-dogs.yolasite.com/ My vet thinks the damage was done by a choke chain but we don't know.

CM also showed his lack of knowledge of positive training, rewards are not always treats, in fact I rarely use treats, the reward has to be something that the dog finds as a reward not our idea of what they should find rewarding. I know someone who has a Lurcher, he was very difficult to train because he didn't think anything was a reward until one day she had been trying to train him but he wouldn't work so she walked out of the room forgetting that she had left treats in her jacket pocket which was on the back of the chair. She walked back in to find that he had got the treats and was enjoying them. Since then she allows him to do that after a training session and now he loves training sessions because she has found out what HE thinks is a reward.

Of course punishment works, it does with children as well, but it also develops fear of the people who are punishing them. A dog or child may not look like they are frightened when they think they may get punished, a lot can be bravado, but it is still there. It also depends on what the punishment is.

Abuse is abuse no matter who or what it is done to.

Edited by moderator Thu Nov 15, '12 3:45pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 3:34pm PST 
Well, that didn't take long laugh out loudwink

I wish I could watch videos on my laptop, I still think he's cutewink
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 4:01pm PST 
I think he was pretty uncomfortable. He tried to diffuse the situation by making jokes. You can see him get tense as soon as Alan Titchmarsh refuses to let him control the interview. He licks his lips several times (like tongue flicking in dogs?) You can just see in his face that he is tense.

Also- The last name Titchmarsh is so fascinating to me! Definitely a British name! smile
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 5:44pm PST 
Wow, that Titchmarsh is like a boxer the way he snaps out these questions one after another laugh out loud Not a bad interview. I wouldn't try some of Cesar's techniques at home but I have always agreed with him about the calm assertive energy thing. Luckily I can watch a tv show without emulating it, lol. (okay, I lie, I've used tchhh as a disruptor on occasion! But that be all!)

Now let's all try to be calm and assertive for this thread, eh? wink

Edited by author Fri Oct 26, '12 5:47pm PST

[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 6:41pm PST 
Well, the early bit of the video reminded me of so many debates here. The man says Cesar "punches" dogs. It's clear to me Cesar doesn't "punch" dogs at all. He has that claw bite thingy, which is not even close to a punch. It is so odd to me that when someone dislikes someone or their methods that they construe things into something they're not.

Really though, I think Cesar handled it quite professionally. If you go into an interview with the idea of just having a chat about what you enjoy and it turns into the interviewer obviously taking this opportunity to just take jabs at you, you might be taken aback too.

Now if Cesar knew ahead of time about what the interview would be about, then that would be really interesting to me. But this set up....just ironically seems cruel.

Cesar does also make a great point in that using rewards isn't just about treats. Yet, the interviewer seems to not care about the responses and chooses to tear into Cesar some more with a followup question that has nothing to do with Cesar's answer. He doesn't seem to listen at all to Cesar's words. He has his mind made up and just doesn't care. I thought it was a horrible interview from his stand point.

As for Cesar Millan, he's been going on for quite a bit now. His show is ancient by television standards. Regardless of interviews such as these, it'll soon die out as all shows do.

Edited by author Fri Oct 26, '12 6:42pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9