GO!

Seasonal Allergies

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Okami- Amaterasu

I shalst- pluck-eth ze- toy...

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 4:59pm PST 
Does anyone have a dog with them? And if so, how do you deal with them?

I've officially ruled out food allergies, flea allergies, and just plain ol' dry skin. Okami gets coconut oil, salmon oil, plus she's on a raw diet which all had a dramatic effect on her skin as she did have dry skin issues, but now that has been cleared up.

Still, she is itchy. Behind her ears, chewing on her feet/legs and hips/butt area and I've determined it must be seasonal allergies as this only comes about during the summer/autumn months, plus seasonal allergies are not uncommon in her breed.

She has been on prednisone twice from the vet, once this year and once last year. It did wonders for the itching, stopped it almost right away, but then it wears off and she's back to scratching. I'm not sure if it's safe to continue giving her prednisone continuously, so I'm trying to see if there's anything else I could do to bring her some relief until the weather gets colder and her allergies dissipate.

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks in advance everyone smile
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 6:57pm PST 
Sanka has seasonal allergies. It's usually his ears that get the worst of it. But the other side effects are gunky eyes and him seemingly trying to eat his own paws.

I haven't been able to do much about it unfortunately. Treat the symptoms is all I do. Keep his ears clean, bitter apple spray/neosporin on the feet and clean out his eyes. Tried Benadryl with no effect too. He's only had 1 ear infection this fall, so hopefully that's all we'll have to contend with this year.

The only thing that helped him was a healthier diet. No corn, no soy. I'd like to have him on even better food, but my budget does not allow it.
[notify]
Indy

Can I get a- belly rub?

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 7:27pm PST 
have you tried this product? I work at a pet boutique and we sell a lot of it, especially now wish seasonal/flea allergies.
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Seasonal-Allergy-Support-Supplement/dp/ B0030IS43O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351045629&sr=8-1&keywords=vets best seasonal allergy support

you can also try bromelain/quercetin combo from health food stores like NOW brand.

Edited by author Tue Oct 23, '12 7:28pm PST

[notify]

Okami- Amaterasu

I shalst- pluck-eth ze- toy...

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 7:57am PST 
Indy-no I actually I haven't heard about that product before, but I'll definitely have to try it and see if it works for her. I really hope that it does work, I'm getting rather desperate here lol. I give her benadryl to try and help with the allergies, but I think I've been giving it to her for so long that her system has just gotten used to it and now it doesn't work anymore :
[notify]
Kazba

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 4:29pm PST 
We also had seasonal allergies all of my dogs life, he would look terrible in the summer and then have a great coat in the winter. I would switch his food, and it seemed like it did help him to not be as bad. We used a limited ingredient formula of venison and lamb just to switch it up for him. It was not a cure, but it kept it from getting to bad.
[notify]