GO!

Floating/Wetting Kibble

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 5:15pm PST 
Is there any reason why kibble can't be moistened before serving? I sometimes wonder if Joey has a tooth or swallowing problem, and was thinking of making his kibble a little easier to eat. However, I notice that the food I am feeding him (Nature's Variety Instinct) mentions that you can moisten a puppy's food but says nothing about an adult dog's food. Is that probably because a puppy's teeth may not be able to handle hard kibble as well as an adult's?

Is there anything wrong with serving the kibble "soaked"?
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 5:22pm PST 
We always had to float Chance's commercial food to keep it from coming back up.
[notify]
Scruffy

In Loving Memory

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 5:34pm PST 
I always float Scruffy's kibble because he has kidney disease and I want to get as much fluid into him as I can. I always moisten Lily's kibble because she likes it moistened.

Edited by author Mon Oct 22, '12 5:39pm PST

[notify]

(Quin)- Herdabout- The Mighty- Qu

Herdabout The- Mighty Quinlan!

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 9:15pm PST 
My pup's have urinary issues...history of crystals...so I wet their morning kibble so they get more moisture.
smile

It also makes it easier to ensure they get all their cranberry supplement and stuff smile
[notify]
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '12 10:01pm PST 
I float all of my dogs food, never had any problems because of it. It helps them get extra moisture since kibble is so lacking in moisture.
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 4:43pm PST 
I have done it for older dogs and puppies. But I do not see any reason why you can not do it for any age of dog.
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 7:34am PST 
I read that citric acid is not good for dogs that are prone to bloat. Nature's Variety Instinct, at least the limited ingredient food I have been feeding, has citric acid. Therefore, I am thinking I should NOT be adding moisture to this food. I also noticed that a small snack of this food fed a couple hours before bedtime seems to cause problems for Joey (gulping, swallowing, etc.) so that's a double sign I should not be doing it.

I don't know much about citric acid, except, of course, that it is (I assume) an acid, and some dogs DO get acid reflux, so it is one thing I'm going to stay away from. I am switching Joey to Canine Caviar. The vet has also suggested trying pepcid. Another person on Dogster was told to give Prilosec, as it is long lasting.

As to adding liquid when you feed kibble, I am concerned that Joey doesn't drink enough water. However, I am planning to keep doing what I do occasionally - give him about a third cup of water flavored with some pumpkin or other flavoring.
[notify]
Merlin - Now at the- Rainbow Br

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 7:47am PST 
I have been soaking my dogs kibble for about 15 years now, after I have fed my dogs I get the next feeds ready by adding water and soaking it. The food swells up before it goes in the stomach and my dogs think they are getting more food than they are.laugh out loud

Merlin my Greyhound was in the early stages of renal failure for a year, he never got dehydrated which my vets were delighted about. Merlin only went to the Rainbow Bridge because he couldn't live without another of my dogs Joe who went 6 weeks before Merlin.cry
[notify]