GO!

Church and Service Dogs

The Service and Therapy Dog forum is for all service and therapy dogs regardless of whether or not their status is legally defined by federal or state law, how they are trained, or whether or not they are "certified." Posts questioning or disputing a person's need for a service or therapy dog, the validity of a person's service or therapy dog, or the dog's ability to do the work of a service or therapy dog are not permitted in this forum. Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times.

Abrams Tank- SDiT

I'm trying to- fill some BIG- paws

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 2:28pm PST 
Today was the first Sunday in a while that my hubby has felt like going to church so we went to the one where I was raised. I happened to catch the pastor before hand and asked him if once Tank is a little more solid in his training we could bring him in to church with us. I was all prepared for him to say that we would have to bring it up in front of the board. But boy was I in for a HUGE surprise when he looked at me and said "as long as he is well behaved and clearly vested then there is no reason that he cannot come. We will even bless the dog. There is no reason for you to worry about having to bring it up in front of the board."I was thrilled to hear him say that. But at the same time I was dreading but yet kinda prepared for him to suggest that we go in front of the board. I was working on a presentation just in case. Today was my home church's homecoming celebration so it felt good to go home. The pastor then infront of the entire church said "If you were raised here and havent been here in a while come back bring your Service Dog and we will bless the dog." And by the way this church is a Free Methodist church in Southern Indiana
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 4:18pm PST 
Tank, that is very good to hear. smile Considering what you've told me about church in pmails, I was kinda expecting the worst, so this was a nice surprise. smile Anyway, how are you? I haven't heard from you in a while.
[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 7:03pm PST 
Doing well really. Just got home from taking my boy home. It felt right today to go home. I have known many of the members of the church at home for my entire 37 years. I know it sounds odd but today was the day that it felt right to tell him Thank You for those words to me when I was a teen. I was expecting the worst as well but the pastor has been down the road that my husband has and he has often said so in his sermons. Tank is really stepping up with his training since losing Katana in August. It seems like I dont get a lot of time to rest lately with everything thats going on. And its hard to believe that Tank is almost 10 months old. I have a feeling that we are going to be going home again within the next couple months. Tank can hold a solid down stay for two hours at a shot so hes doing great there.

Edited by moderator Thu Oct 25, '12 4:24pm PST

Edited by forums moderator

Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 4:16pm PST 
I am not a methodest really I am a penicost but have not been for years sorry to say.
But I would hope that Sadie would be welcomed if I do find the desire to go again and find one that I can do so.
[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

Barked: Wed Oct 24, '12 6:13am PST 
Sadie most of the members of the church have known me since I was a baby in arms. They made it a special point to send something to the funeral home for my mother when she passed on. I always feel more at home there and then to have the pastor say he would welcome Tank and later on my own SD made me feel so wonderful.
[notify]
Crazy Sadie- Lady

Im a SD and- proud of it so- there!!!!

Barked: Fri Oct 26, '12 5:46pm PST 
It is cool to know that I thik I would understand cause I know a church in my home town that my Gram went to that would probably do that for me. Though as i said I am penicostel I have gone to other churches. I for the most part beleive though church is not the way in to heaven so I feel not so interested in going right away. It dose not mean I will never go to a church in the future but just that I do not have the feeling at this time to go. But Tank I am glad you found the exceptance you
deserve in your family church. Cause that is the way it should be.
[notify]
Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 5:46am PST 
There is a Unitarian Church here in town. We were going when we first moved here. They were trying to grow so we joined them hoping they would get bigger. They bought a building but some fighting began between some of the older members; and so, my husband and I stopped going for a while.

It seemed like everything had worked its self out and the news letter had gotten interesting again. We were already to go the following Sunday when we got the new news letter. It listed the new rules for their church… one of the being the only service dogs that would be allowed in their building would be seeing eye dogs. My husband wrote back to them that there were many different kinds of service dog giving them a very long list but he never got a reply. Because of this we have no plans to ever return.
[notify]
Abrams Tank- SDiT

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 7:45am PST 
Mali sounds like you need to find a church much like my home church. They are very welcoming to us and I can't wait to take Tank. I am shooting for him being able to go around Christmas eve because I know for a fact that that is a service that I will be attending because I almost always sing at the Christmas eve service
[notify]