GO!

Why do ppl get breeds of dogs that have bad health issues and not do anything to help it?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 1:15am PST 
I'm a veterinary technician and I just recently started at a veterinary hospital. Today we had a bull dog that had BAD yeasty ears and a yeast-like smell coming from his folds. His left eye was also a dark red and covered in a yellowish-green mucous. What makes me mad is that people get the dog breeds that have a lot of health issues that they are aware of and yet they refuse to pay the extra money to take care of that health problem or go the extra mile to make sure their dog is in a comfortable state. I felt so bad for this bulldog. He has chronic dry eye and probably an underlying eye issue and the owners will not pay for artificial tears to help lube the eye or even let the doctor's look more into the eye and help treat it. Every bulldog owner and other owners of squishy-faced breeds knows that they eventually will need artificial tears because they are so bug-eyed, prone to ear infections, and need their wrinkles clean out on a daily basis. We were literally digging out yellow discharge that had looked like phlegm out of this bulldogs' ears.

What I don't understand is if you know that certain breeds have abundant amount of health issues/problems and your not in the kind of shape to get the vet attention it deserves when these health issues pop up or you REFUSE to get the treatment it deserves; why even get the dog in the first place??? Is it because the dog was sooooooo cute as a puppy and you just had to have it without even thinking the potential health issues it can have later in life. To me that is selfish. They are only thinking about themselves and not for the well-being and welfare of the pet. Ppl think too much of what other ppl are going to think and say when they own a certain dog breed that they think is cute or cool looking.

For example, my little brother who is turning 18 next month wants a cane corso or a presa canario. That has bad news written ALL over that situation if he ever does become an owner to one of those breeds. He told me and I quote that he wants either a cane corso or a presa canario because they look like a pit bull on steroids. And I told him you need to do EXTENSIVE research on both those breeds before getting one. They are both a dominant breed and I can totally see an ACCIDENT or DISASTER happening if he ever owns one. thinkingconfused Not only that but I know my little brother will not have the means to take care of one or even the funds to take it to the vets for an emergency. But you know he is about to turn 18 and he thinks he is right all the time and thinks he knows how the world works.

I just don't understand people and I may never ever understand them. That's why I'll keep on helping animals get better and saving them.

Go right ahead and put your two cents in it everyone! happy dance

Edited by author Sun Oct 21, '12 12:47pm PST

[notify]
Ch. Luke, in memory.

Luke--- the dog talking

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 4:41am PST 
IMO, MOST of the issues like this bulldog can be blamed on the breeders/sellers not educating the puppy buyers. I do believe more than 75% of these buyers got the dog on impulse, either directly from a BYB OR from a pet store, NEITHER of which did one iota of education when it comes to potential health issues with the breed.
Furthermore, had these buyers done some research, most likely they could have ended up with a healthy dog from a reputable breeder instead of something cranked out just for profit.
Just yesterday I got emails from THREE owners who had purchased Frenchies from me...the youngest was 10 years old, the oldest 13. NOT ONE of these dogs has health issues and these people were calling inquiring about adding another Frenchie to their family. They WERE educated and knew that WHERE you get your dog is more important than how much you spend, and they all knew what to look for in terms of prebreeding testing, etc.
Had the above bulldog owners been educated about health issues perhaps they would have ended up with a healthy dog. Not all bulldogs have eye/ear issues if responsible breeding practices are followed.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 7:48am PST 
That very reason is why a couldn't employed in the animal health profession. I would drive away the business, because I would tell any irresponsible person what I thought. shh
[notify]

Rusty

Champion PPH

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 9:01am PST 
You can't fix Stupid or lazy..........naughty

When I got Rusty (Cocker Spaniel), he went to the vet the very next day to have his ears & eyes checked (as well as the usual fecal, blood, urine, etc). His breed has issues with both. Now I have ear cleaning solution and antibiotics for both ears & eyes if they fire up with a problem.

Some people just get a breed because of it's look (cute or mean :/), do no research, and the poor dog pays the price. I've avoided certain breeds I'd like to have due to severe health issues or short life spans. I'm willing to do the work, but hate to lose my pal sooner than I'd expect to. confused
[notify]
Misty

I'm a lover!

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 11:49am PST 
That has to be so hard- you must want to yank that dog away from the owners and then put noxious things in their eyes and ears and let them see how it feels !shock

FYI- don't know if this matters, but you have a lot of identifying information in your post (the name of the hospital, location, breed and specifics about the dog)....the world is a very small place now and could your employment be jeopardized by this owner hearing about the post and going back to the vet's office? It's a very small world out there. I'm sure all you said was true, just wanted to offer that perspective. It may not be a big deal.
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 1:01pm PST 
Well for one nobody at my clinic has seen my dogs so there is no possible way they can tell who created the topic. But thank you for your concern.

There's actually some doctors who do get blunt towards the owners and tell them exactly how they feel about their patients health.

I have dachshunds and am well aware of the back problems they can end up getting. Jazz my little mini wirehaired dachshund ended up getting a small mild case of IVDD. I had a holistic vet perform acupuncture on his back once a week for about 3 months. The inflammation and swelling went down. I now have stairs for my bed and couch and i don't let my dachshunds jump. My huskies also can have eye, thyroid, and hip issues. And I did my research before getting my huskies so I know what to be prepared for.
[notify]
Noah

Herpaderp-apotam- us

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 7:23pm PST 
As a groomer, I see the same sort of thing. People get a poodle or a maltese and take no effort to brush or comb it, let it get completely matted and yell at us when we say we're going to shave it. If you don't want to bother with it, get a beagle. It's frustrating but all you can do is try and educate people.
[notify]
ROSCOE

The World Is My- Playground

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 8:30pm PST 
People do need to be careful when getting a particular breed and also must remember not getting proper vet care for a dog whom is in need is considered abuse in many states.. Who suffers..THE ANIMALS for the ignorance of their owners.
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 9:33pm PST 
He looked so uncomfortable in his own skin cry people NEED to do EXTENSIVE research on breeds before just buying one because they are cute, cool, or gorgeous. That animal may have a lot of health issues and you won't know it until its too late. People are so ignorant. They don't realize that if they don't treat the certain health issue like that bulldogs' eye, the animals are the ones that are suffering.

I will never understand ppl which is probably hy I have 4 dogs and 3 ferrets
[notify]
Mishka &- Luna

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 6:01am PST 
There was a family who had taken one of the Lab puppies that I was fostering and their son had done a lot of research on Labrador retrievers. It just surprised me that an 11 year old boy had done the research on this breed. On the history, the certain characteristics of the breed, and the health issues of the breed. If a 11 year old can do research and show such responsibility then why can't grown adults do the same? Children aren't suppose to be doing research but it still showed me that he wanted this dog more than anything in the world. Which is why I approved of this family to take the puppy.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2