GO!

Considering Rescuing a 2nd Dog

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Sammie

You mean, I'm- not the queen???

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 7:34pm PST 
Hi everyone. I have a lab mix who is almost 2 years old. I have been thinking about adopting another dog because I had such a great experience with the first rescue. There are so many dogs out there who need homes and I have an ideal home for multiple dogs. However, my only reservation is that Sammie is not very interested in playing with other dogs. She is not aggressive and has never been in a fight but when another dog initiates play she acts completely uninterested. She has lots of dog "cousins" who she always seems happy to see but she much prefers the company of people over other dogs. I consider her to be a dog snob lol.

I would love to adopt another dog but I want to be sure Sammie would enjoy having a buddy around. Any advice is welcome!
[notify]
Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Sat Oct 13, '12 11:43pm PST 
Many rescues and shelters welcome you bringing your dog along to meet any potentials. I would definitely get a male though. Male/female pairings just tend to be a safter bet in general, to avoid same sex aggression. Look for a dog close to her age, and definitely one that both of you like. You don't want to wind up in a crate and rotate sort of situation. A boy that is more human focused might work, or one that is just so laid back and polite that if she ignores him it's no skin off his nose as well.

Make sure you look for an energy and drive level that you can manage too, because two dogs is a lot more work than one.

Good luck!! Keep us updated. I'm in a sort of "I do and I don't" want a 2nd one. I think if the right dog comes along I wouldn't say no, too. I know how it feels.
[notify]
Sammie

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 5:48pm PST 
Thanks for the advice Miyu. I think I will wait a bit longer before making a decision. Or perhaps get a cat since she prefers cats over other dogs smile good luck to you and let us know what you decide!
[notify]

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Thu Nov 15, '12 7:35am PST 
You could be happily suprised!!!big grin
Sophie has always been kind of "Meh" towards playing with other dogs. The problem being that at the dog park different breeds have different play styles. Bullies play like football players...or dinosaurs...lots of head butting and attempted tackles. Very rough play for doggie friends who enjoy a light game of tag.

I adopted Callie before I introduced him to Sophie. I knew Sophie felt safest in her own yard and would panic meeting Callie at the shelter. It worked out beautifully. Sophie saw him and after a slow sniff grew a big doggie grin and play bowed in front of him. They are perfectly matched. He is stronger but submissive, she is faster but patient with him. She knocks him on his back feet flying and he hops up like a rabbit and the chase is on again. Plus she has a perfect tug of war partner.

You might be suprised how playful your dog could become with a live in best friend. I recommend the opposite gender and an age difference. Best of Luck!!!blue dog
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 11:14am PST 
If I were in your shoes, I'd go to an adoption event and let Sammie pick the new dog.

Give them time to sniff and play and you'll undoubtedly find one you both like smile
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '12 1:39pm PST 
I think you will find it a very good experience. Most places (as an upstream poster mentioned) will have you do a meet and greet to see how the pups take to each other, and to have them meet on neutral turf. My fist two were a Female Lab who isn't particularly playful and then a Mixed Breed male. They don't play a lot, but I do think they are great companions.

Good luck!
[notify]
Sammie

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 8:44pm PST 
Thanks for sharing everyone. It's great to hear stories that I can base my decision off of. Many people are telling me that I can't force Sammie to be a dog lover. But I think every situation is different, like you said Ophelia, she may fall in love with a live-in companion. Im starting to research rescues this week ( I dont want to adopt from Sammie's rescue group again) i will keep everyone posted
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 6:39pm PST 
My daughter moved back in almost a year ago, with her shelter dog (Kale). I'd gotten Ace about 4 months before, not knowing at the time she'd be moving back.

It's worked out fine. Kale is older and somewhat less playful, but he tolerates Ace's rambunctious play. Now that he's not so much of a novelty, the play is less intense and less frequent, but they still have some fun.

What was funny is that before Ace and Kale met, my daughter had mentioned Kale growling at her then-boyfriend's dog over food. But when Ace and Kale met for the first time, at her place, Ace plopped down and started chowing down from Kale's bowl and not a bit of complaint from him. Almost as if he knew we were "family".

When my daughter moves back out, I hope she ends up leaving Kale with us. We all love him here laugh out loud
[notify]