GO!

Little Dogs Jogging?

If you are wondering what is the right dog for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about tail wagging and learning.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 4:11pm PST 
I think I've posted about this before, but not specifically about small dogs. Does anybody out there go jogging with their small (under 15 pounds) dog, or do you know anybody who does?

I'm set on getting a very small dog for various practical reasons (and they're cute, which is a bonus), but I also recently took up jogging and am training for a couple of running/jogging events next year. Is it impractical to think that a toy-sized dog might be able to train with me?

I get nervous about this, because it doesn't seem to be a common thing. People sometimes recommend a high-energy dog that might make a good agility prospect for this kind of exercise, but I think running at a steady pace for a couple miles at a time places different physical demands on a dog than running an obstacle course.

Is running regularly with a tiny dog a realistic hope? If so, what should I look for? Are there particular breeds or physical types that lend themselves to regular jogging?

I would of course build up slowly, and if I end up having to leave the dog at home for longer runs then that's fine. But it would be really nice to have best of both worlds on this one. smile

Thoughts?
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 5:30pm PST 
Maybe a long legged terrier type? I used to bike with my Rat Terrier mix, which is kinda similar physical demands to jogging. He was 22-25 lbs but a "real" Rat Terrier is closer to 15.
Of course any dog will need to be properly conditioned for the activity.

Edited by author Thu Oct 11, '12 5:31pm PST

[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 5:41pm PST 
I used to jog with Missy ( before i started slacking and eventually stopping altogether! ) and she always managed to keep up.

I think a terrier type would adapt well to regular jogging, as long as it's fit and healthy that is.
[notify]

y

dog-sitter in- charge.

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 7:09pm PST 
Lilith goes running.. even biking.. with us. She had her knees bilaterally fixed and still can do 4-5 miles no problem next to a bike. She maintains a fast clip on hikes and we sometimes go a few hours at a time.

She's 11-12lbs, 10.5" at the shoulders.

Edited by author Thu Oct 11, '12 7:11pm PST

[notify]
Elsa

mycooldog.wordpr- ess.com

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 8:25am PST 
A Cavalier would make a great jogging companion. They are incredibly adaptable and since they are spaniels they tend to be a bit sportier than most toys like say a Yorkie or Maltese. Also they are big for toys (13 to 18 lbs) so are a bit hardier and longer of leg. They sometimes have heart problems so you would be helping yours by taking it on a jog, keeping his heart nice and strong. As someone else entioned an Alaskan Klee Klai would be a good option as well since they are mini sled dogs they have excellent stamina. They would probably be harder to find though.
[notify]
Buster

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 10:21am PST 
A border terrier? Might be a bit big but are small enough and quite soft for terriers. Bred to hunt alongside the foxhound packs so are certainly capable. Plus they're very cute. I've had a look they range from 11-15lbs so within what you want

Edited by author Fri Oct 12, '12 10:26am PST

[notify]
Abbey

Feisty- Girl

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 11:54am PST 
I jog, bike, and hike with my dogs. Although they're not toy breeds, they are small dogs (14 and 17 pounds.) Abbey can do 6-7 miles along side my bike easily.
[notify]
Lisa

Always my angel.

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 11:29am PST 
I knew if anybody could do it, it would be the terriers! laugh out loud The spaniel-types, too, could be a possibility. And the AKK, of course, which I completely forgot about! AKKs are so adorable/beautiful...if I were more into the nordic personality traits I would be all over them.

Elsa, have you ever actually gone jogging with your CKCS? I'm a little concerned about their short noses. thinking
[notify]
Crystal

Design jewelry,- not dogs

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 11:52am PST 
Both my cresteds AND my toy poodles have been jogging partners for various runners, in fact, Crystal ran a 5k just last Spring. They can easily do five miles, and are usually in better shape at the end then the person they are running with.
[notify]
D'artagnan

I'm not lazy,- I'm just waiting- to play..

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 4:09pm PST 
Dar is 14 pounds with short legs and we go rollerblading together. Usually a little over 6 miles. He mostly keeps a fast trot pace but I make him run and sprint too. He has no problem keeping up. Actually, I took him off leash for the end of our last rollerblading session and he was beating me...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2